Need a new ignition switch

skloczko

Seaman Apprentice
Hi im looking for a new ignition switch for a Merc 1975 1150 inline 6. from the diagram in the Seloc manual i have, it looks like there should be 2 blacks (one that leads to the tachometer connecter and one that goes to the harness), 2 whites (one to the choke switch and one to the harness), a red, and a salmon. This is on page A-26 of the Seloc Mercury Outboards 1965-89 manual to anyone that has it. Ive found plenty of switches online that 6 wires coming off the back, but im counting 7 in the diagram, and also i dont know if the right colors would be on the ones i found online, maybe im wrong about what i need??...heres a couple, any help on whether these will work, or information on where i can obtain the correct one would be a big help.<br /><br /> https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3666&Category_Code= <br /><br /> http://www.nicksoutboardmarine.com/catalogpg421.html

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need a new ignition switch

i just took a controller apart from a 71' inline 6 1350 no trim n tilt. ignition switch only has 5 connections, several wire double up on the switch. it's inpossible to tell what color the are, they were so rotten, and dthe engine still ran. how i don't know.. put a nos controller on it.

ricksrster

Commander

Does your control have a seperate button switch for choke? The switches in your link have the choke switch built in. You push the key in to activate choke. You can use these switches but they might not fit in your control. I was rebuilding an old control with rotten wires last year and found the new switch wouldn't fit in the control. I rewired a new harness with the new switch for use in the dash. You can still find replacement switches for original if you patiently search different marine web sites. You can even find the choke switch.

skloczko

Seaman Apprentice

Alright thankyou. I thought about the choke in switch ordeal and decided to just swap everything to the in dash set up instead of directly in the control. I searched so many websites but im also not very adept in boat parts yet as I am fairly new to the boating world. Going with the first switch in my lis there seemed good enough, so Im gonna wait for that to come in and install it.

tashasdaddy

be sure to keep the neutral switch in the shifter. i was going to go to the dash, but i found the new old stock controller on Ebay. i need a wiring harness anyway. if you go to the dash, you can just mount a push button on the dash for the choke.. my harness was bad and would not work the choke, so i just picked up a hot feed off the starter solenoid, to button to choke. worked like a champ.

timmathis

Lieutenant

I mounted mine right under the control box with a metal plate and used the same wires from the old switch. Works just fine. Tim

skloczko

Seaman Apprentice

awesome awesome, thanks for the help. tasha I might be askin you about that hot feed sometime in the near future depending how tis works out

tashasdaddy

if you need wiring diagram from merc manual email me. <tashasdaddy@comcast.net>