Trim pump on 1976 115 HP

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Hello, <br /><br />I have a 1976 115 HP Mercury, serial # 4313752. I'm not sure if "trim Pump" is correct, but when I push the In/Out In, it hums.<br />My question is, how do I check the oil level in it? I see a sticker that says to use 20W oil. I see a large screw that takes a ratchet extention and in there is a straight slot screw and above that is an allen screw. The trim does not move in or out, but the pump seems to work.<br />Also, on the side is a large knob that says something about a reverse lock and not to operate the boat with it disengaged. <br />This is my first boat, so please bear with my if I ask seemingly simple questions.<br /><br />Eric

Laddies

Banned
Re: Trim pump on 1976 115 HP

The large knob is you tilt release it should be screwed all the way out for the punp to operate, on the corner of the pump body is a indention with a large slotted screw (same size as a lower unit drain) the pump should be filled to that level wth the engine up, you will probably have to put some oil into get to go up. Above that screw on the top of the hsg. is a smaller sloted screw thats a vent make sure the screw is loose or it will build pressure in the tank and force oil into the motor

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Trim pump on 1976 115 HP

You can use dextron 2 or 3 ATF fluid if you can't find 20w.<br />Wal-mart carries a marine power trim fluid for about $2.00 pint. Dextron 3 auto transmission fluid is the best deal at $1.50 a quart also it is red and it makes it easy to see and find a leak if you have one. Tim