Oily water in lower unit (seal?)

EHardgrave

Seaman
I took my 7.5 merc. (s/n 5343319) out for the first time after an impeller change. When I started it I noticed no water coming out. (it did work in a garbage can right after new impeller) I dropped the lower unit to see what happened to the water pump and in on top of the pump, shaft, etc. was a milky oily water mixture. From reading other entries I would assume an oil seal somewhere. Does this sound accurate? If so then I am confused about what kit I need. Does kit # 18-2628 have everything I would need or do I also need the water pump seals # 18-0516 and maybe 18-2010? Or is there possibly something more wrong? What PSI would I use to pressure check? Thanks

EHardgrave

Seaman
Re: Oily water in lower unit (seal?)

I unscrewed the drain plug and the oil came out the blue color it was when I put it in. So could the milky sludge be from exhaust and water? If so what does that mean is wrong?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Yea, exhaust, and a residual stuff, "goo" that adheres to the inside of the midsection, and drools out when parked.<br /><br />Could be entirely normal.<br /><br />If it's been run with the choke on, idled around a lot, or run in a barrel it might even look worse.<br /><br />Some motors do it more than others. The ones that I run out of gas before putting away sometimes do it less.

EHardgrave

Seaman

I double checked the water pump and the key is there and the impeller is brand new. Still no water circulating. I blew through it with an air compressor and the path seams to be clear. Any ideas why no water pumping?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Are you sure the you aligned the water tube?

LubeDude

Admiral

Not too sure about those small engines, but if it has a thermostat, it will take a bit for the water to start coming out.

EHardgrave

Seaman

Put it all back together (got the water tube into the guide) and still no water. I used some trimmer string pushed it through the hole and got to what might be a thermostat. Even blew air through the hole and got bubbles down under the cavitation plate. Doesn't seem to be clogged. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks for everything so far.<br /><br />Anyone know if this engine has a thermostat?