1993 150 XRi Oil Alarm issue- Long and detailed

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
OK- This is long. 1993 Merc 150 XRi. Fuel-injected, oil-injected. I got the constant beep, beep, beep alarm last year on the second last outing of the year. I had been running on the river and had shut down to fish a hole. I fired up 1 hour later and went 50 yards and the alarm started beeping. I shut down right away and checked the oil reservoir. It was full. I checked the remote oil tank under my console- ¾ full. No leaks seen, no kinked hoses, etc. <br /><br /><br />I had already replaced the remote 2 ½ gallon tank due to a crack. I had also replaced the engine oil tank cap/sensor assembly because it was also cracked. I had pressure in the remote tank when I unscrewed the cap. <br /><br /><br />I restarted the engine after verifying oil. The alarm started beeping immediately after start up. I idled about 50 yard checking the run and shut off again. I once again checked things and turned the key on. I got the 2 beep tone and then started the engine. Constant beep, beep, beep right away. The water alarm L.E.D. was not lit so I knew it wasn’t water in the fuel. It had to be an oil issue. <br /><br /><br />I brought it home and checked lines, etc. I found nothing odd. I did change the water separating filter because I had one sitting on the shelf. I ran the engine on a small tank of premix until it warmed and checked things again. No alarms, no issues. OK, must have been an air bubble or something. I guessed it was OK. <br /><br /><br />Went out two days later and ran the boat through the no wake zone and 2 miles upriver. The engine ran great and sounded normal and I got no alarms. I pulled up to our spot and shut down. We fished that area with several starts and stops and then tried to head out to another area. I fired up and the alarm started again. Constant beep, beep, beep. Now I’m peeved because I found no reason for the alarm. All I could think was sensor failure or gear failure. This was the last outing of the year and I put the boat away for the winter. <br /><br /><br />It’s now in my driveway and I just finished troubleshooting it. I did a few things before messing with the oil system. Water pump, lower unit and new thermostats. The heads were clean as a pin inside and I saw no issues there. Then I started on the oil system. <br /><br /><br />I checked lines again and found no problems. The tanks are good, as are the caps. I pulled the white wire connector from the module to the pump motion sensor and got 12.5 volts with the key “on”. I then reconnected the white wire and probed the blue/white tracer wire as directed. I rotated the engine by hand as directed and saw voltage go from 0 to 5.2V every two turns of the engine. However, I also got a weird “out of range” reading at one point like I lost continuity or something. It did it once and didn’t do it again. From then on, it read 5.2V every two turns like normal. I have not yet done a pump output test as I believe the pump must be turning to give me the 5.2V reading from the sensor. I think the motion sensor is bad and should be replaced. <br /><br /><br />I ran the engine on a small tank of premix again in the driveway and got no alarms. The thermostats opened properly and I had good water flow. The engine sounds great with no odd noises and what seems to me to be the proper amount of smoke. I am going to try a motion sensor and see where that gets me. If that doesn’t do it, it’s premix time. LOL<br /><br /><br />Does that sound like I’m missing anything? I run Pennzoil synthetic and have since I got the boat two years ago.<br /><br /><br />UFM82

jhebert

Ensign
Re: 1993 150 XRi Oil Alarm issue- Long and detailed

Perhaps the alarm module is faulty.<br /><br />One way to test: when the BEEP-BEEP-BEEP begins again, disconnect the motion sensor lead and the float level switch lead to the alarm module. If it keeps sounding the alarm, this may be evidence of the alarm module itself being the source of the problem.<br /><br />I am assuming that disconnecting the sensors does not in itself trigger an alarm. You could test that, too.

KCLOST

Commander

Pull off the oil pump... Look for plastic shavings on the "driven" gear attached to the pump. This will indicate that the drive gear in the crank is damaged... It may still pump some oil, but if it is damaged and the rotation is hampered, you will still get an alarm.<br /><br />Try that first, and let us know...

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by UFM82:<br /> I checked the remote oil tank under my console- ¾ full. No leaks seen, no kinked hoses, etc. <br />
You didnt mention filling this tank up and purging it of air. This tank has to be 100% full. Losten the cap while running and wait untill it starts to leak around the cap and tighten it.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

BFAKALD, the tank on the engine is the one that must be full all the time. That one has the sensor in the cap. It is full and air-free. The bigger 2 1/2 gallon tank under my console (it's a center console) is the supply tank for the engine mounted one. That's the one I was specifying. I'm pretty sure I have a component issue at this point. I'll do the wire by wire troubleshooting and then pull the pump for the definitive visual. <br /><br /> Oh how simple pre-mixing seems right now! :D <br /><br />UFM82

LubeDude

Admiral

My bad, I got confused as to which one you were talking about, I can see it now! Ya, you dont want the main resivior completly full, it wont preasurize. Sorry.