stator

dpfrost

Cadet
Ok. I have a 87 merc 135. I think the stator is bad because the battery is not being charged. (am i correct). I am having to charge the battery every other outing. Also does this have anything to do with the Tach not working. It works sometimes, shows rpm's for a second and then doesn't. But it doesn't work more times than it works. Hope this make since. Much help or advise is greatly needed.

ricksrster

Commander
Re: stator

Sounds like the rectifier. Check all your wiring connections and condition of your wires. to check rectifier you can use an OHM meter. Connect the red lead of the meter to one of the alternater terminals. connect the blach lead of the meter to the postive terminal. You should have continuity. Do the same test on the other altrnater terminal. Now reverse the red and black leads. You should show no continunity.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Is there continunity between the two yellow stator wires? IF yes, then it's your rectifier which is the most likely case anyways. Follow ricksrster's instructions

dpfrost

Cadet

Rick and Andy i greatly appriciate you advise. headed out now to check it. I will let you know how things check out. <br /><br />So Will a rectifier cause the tach gage to fail.<br />or is that another problem on its on?

dpfrost

Cadet

Ok Andy here is what i got. I dont have continunity when i connect the black lead to the possitive side on the rectifier and the red lead to the alternator lead (either one of them). but when i reverse the leads(put the red meter lead on the positive terminal and the black lead to the alternator leads i have continunity. So does that reflect a bad rectifier when the oppisite shows continunity?

ricksrster

Commander

OK, let's see. Try red lead to rectifier case ( ground ) black to the alternater terminals. You should have continuity. Now reverse the leads, black to ground, red to alternater terminals. You should have no continuity. Also check the yellow wires like Andy said.

dpfrost

Cadet

Rick, i have continuity were i shouldn't and no continuity were i should. this happens when i follow your intructions.<br /><br />Yellow stator wires show continuity?

ricksrster

Commander

we're going to need more help on this one. I'm baffled why they are backwards.

dpfrost

Cadet

Thanks rick for all your help. Just one more thing. Am i supposed to disconnect all wires from the rectifier before checking or does it matter?

dpfrost

Cadet

Rick I think i found the problem. I guess this is my fault but i think my meter leads is what was reversed. I switched them around and every intructions that you have given me now work. <br /><br />Thanks again for your time and advise. Went to radio shack a bought a rectifier for 3.68 and thats when the test work. Didn't work on old one.