steering issues

bellboy120

Cadet
Hello,<br />I have a 1977 bellboy boat with a omc 120 hp inboard motor. The orginal steering system is shot. Purchased telefex helm, cable, and the expensive part that attaches on the stern drive to the end of the cable. My problem is that I installed the new system and took the boat out for a ride and found out that I some how hooked the steering up backwards. If I turn the steering all the way to the right (starboard side) the stern drive points to the left (portside). I have routed the steering cable on the starboard side of the boat. I spend 3 or 4 hours this morning trying to figure this out. I tried making adjustments on the stern drive. The helm has two holes, the bottom one is the obvious hole for the cable. Any help would be a great help.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Re: steering issues

put the gear on the other side of the wheel shaft (if its on the top now, put it on the bottom or visa versaand) it will go the other way.

bellboy120

Cadet

scrumbler,<br />Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure we are on the same page, the helm has two holes, both facing starboard. The bottom hole is where the cable feeds into. From their you turn the steering clockwise and feed the cable into the helm. The top hole them exposes the excess cable. I can't turn the helm upside down, unless unbolted the helm and turn it around, I would have to route the cable to the port side.<br />thanks

D

DJ

Put the cable in the opposite hole, in the helm, that it is now. In other words, the cable exit will be on the bottom.

shep70057

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put it on the top hole and turn the steering wheel counter clockwise to feed it to the tube.

bellboy120

Cadet

DJ & Shep,<br />Thanks for relying. The top hole look like an exit for the cable. It has a black tube that fits on it and protects the cable. The top hole has a plush face with thread for the black tube to be screwed on. If I were to put the cable in thier, I don't think I could get it out. Also, the cable would not be surrported like the bottom hole does. The bottom hole has a housing for the cable and you use a little pin to pull the cable out after it is locked in thier.

bellboy120

Cadet

Hi all,<br />Well, I reread the direction for the steering system. I have done everything they describe. Thinking back when buying this set up, the kid who sold it to me, gave me a part that was for an outboard motor. The part that attaches to the sterndrive. I later exchanged for the correct part. I'm wondering now, about the steering cable. Are there different cables for outboard and sterndrives? I also have an outboard boat and looking at its steering system it is exactly like the system that I have now. It behaves the same way as your turning the motor. It has a special part that compenstates the way the cable is. Anybody have any ideas. I will call the shop Monday. Thanks for the help.

bellboy120

Cadet

I just want to let folks know that I finally got it figured out. The shop gave me the wrong helm. I lost a lot of time with this one! Onto the next problem. Thanks for replys, you all would be right if the problems were with the new helm that I have!