Boat turns hard to left

pamaboat

Recruit
I just purchaced a 1989 Sun Tracker Party Hut pontoon boat. My problem is that the boat steers hard to the left when the boat is underway. Steers easy when not moving. Any ideas? It is powered by an 88 hp Johnson outboard.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat turns hard to left

That's normal. It's cause by engine torque spinning the prop clockwise. There may be a zinc tab of sorts on the anti-ventilation plate, behind the prop, that can be turned to port to offset this and make the steering more neutral.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

A BIG WELCOME pamaboat -<br /><br />My boat also steers easy when not moving only problem is that it dosen't go anywhere - even with the engine running???

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome, pamaboat! I had the same problem with my 'toon when I first got it and found that the hard left steering occurred when the motor wasn't trimmed exactly in the optimum position. Try messing with the trim either a little more in or out and see if she doesn't steer a little easier.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is normal engine torque. My 28 HP will actually pull the wheel to port if I let go. And your engine's far more powerful.

Josh9685

Seaman

hi,<br /><br />does the same thing apply for jet drives? mine is powered by a 460 Ford. at planing speeds it pulls hard left, I have to keep the steering wheel to the right to make it go straight.<br /><br />josh

D

DJ

In all cases, there is usually a trim tab under the cav. plate.<br /><br />Turn the trailing edge of the tab in the direction of the pull.

pamaboat

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I'll try playing around with the trim tab.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks DJ, that explains a problem I noticed after I reassembled my lower unit and I just now realized that I trimmed the tab to the wrong side - I was thinking about it from the perspective of moving the boat, not the engine.