mildew preventer for canvas

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Anyone tried any products to prevent mildew on canvas that work??? I have a problem with the inside of my bimini sunbrella top.It develops some spotty mildew about 1/2 way through the season and then it really spreads.I did a thorough cleaning and waterproofing last spring and tried some of the Scotchguard brand of mildew preventer on the inside and it actually seemed to make it more prone to the development of the mildew.I have had the same boat slip for the last 16 years and have had the same problem with every boat I have had in the slip.It is in the shade for a good part of the day.Looking for products that work....

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: mildew preventer for canvas

I'm kind of curious about which product that was. The maker of Sunbrella (Glen Raven Mills) recommends this product:<br />303 High Tech Fabric Guard<br /><br />I haven't tried it but I certainly would consider it as Glen Raven tends to know their stuff.<br /><br />"303 HTFG restores lasting water repellency to marine canvas. It stops leaks, protects against soiling and both water & oil based stains, and resists mildew formation and UV sun damage. Spray on, let dry. 16 oz. Trigger sprayer treats 75-100 sq. ft. of marine canvas. 303 HTFG is also your best choice for fabric upholstery, carpeting & breathable wet weather gear."

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

To stop the growth of mildew you need more than a water repellant, you need a fungicide. I've done lots of testing of military hardware treated with fungicide, it really works. However, fingerprints will provide enough nutrients for fungus to grow. We frequently see cases where fungus will start to grow and then disappear after the food source is exhausted.<br /><br />Is the mildew "eating" the material or something deposited on it? Do you cook on you boat? You need to eliminate water and food. It's difficult to eliminate enough moisture on an open area on the boat to stop the growth of mildew. Therefore, you need to keep the top as clean as possible and treat it with a fungicide.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Bayman,I have tried all different types of waterproofing and the 303 is one of the best .But for the money ,I have used a $2.99 product from Walmart in the camping dept.Look for the bright orange cap on an aerosol can.Just as good as any I have tried.Do a search on "cheap waterproofing'.I did a post on the stuff last year.LI Chuck,its a fungicide that works that I am looking for.Im sure it is the moisture from lack of am sunlight so I am trying to prevent the growth.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When it is wet outside for awhile it seems that mildew will grow on about anything. Thus, maybe what is need is:<br />1. washing <br />2. add protective / waterproof layer to keep water and mold away from fabric<br />3. put a fungicide on top of that

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have tried Scotchguard on both the boat canvas and the umbrella on the patio and found it to be absolutely useless. <br /><br />If you can find a slip in the sun you will have found the best prevention. My boat canvas is 13 years old and still quite serviceable with no mildew. It is out in the exposed Florida sun 24/7.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Changing slips is not an option.I have the best slip in the marina AND the only one with deep water.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M now makes a spray-on product for just this purpose. Can't remember what it's moniker is......

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Do a google search for "canvas fungicide" and you will find information on several products.<br /><br />Lysol is an effective fungicide and you can use it when you first notice mildew starting.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

a simple fungicide made for Hot tubs works in a spray bottle. Go sparingly this stuff is pretty strong. Aside from that I run a fan in the boat.