looking for advice on first boat

badandy

Seaman Apprentice
My family and me are looking to get our first boat and would appreciate any advice on what would make a good first boat. Our family consits of my wife, myself, our 2 year old son, a 7 year old rot., and an as of yet unnamed addition to be added in a year or so. We would like to spend some time on the local lakes and rivers. We would also like to be able to ski and ocasionaly drop a line in the water. We would also like the boat to be big enough to hold a couple of guests besides our family. Not more than 6 or 7 people total. The boat needs to be trailered and fit in our driveway. The boat will be pulled by a GMC Sonoma (s10) crew cab 4X4 with 4.3l v6 and auto trans. I am leaning towards a bow rider. I hope this is enogh information. thank you in advance for your help.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: looking for advice on first boat

What are you willing to pay?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Also new or used? Is an outboard motor Ok?<br /><br />Sounds like a fish-n-ski model would work for you. There are many excellent threads here at iboats on fish-n-ski choices. However the dagburn search function does not work! So I cannot steer you to any of them. But here is a fish-n-ski discussion on another site -<br /><br /> http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-bin/trailerboats/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000525 <br /><br />Kelly Cook

badandy

Seaman Apprentice

im sorry looking to go on the inexpensive side at under 3k. And obviously used at that price I don't think I can be to picky on motor style.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

First thing you need to check is the towing capacity of your truck. Then pick a boat/trailer/gear combo within that limit. <br /><br />We started with a 17 foot bowrider that was great for 4 people but very crowded with 6. Next boat was a 21 foot bowrider that was great for 7 people but crowded with 9. You should be looking in the 19 to 21 foot range if you can tow that much. <br /><br />1997 through 2001 Regal boats in that range were pretty light for their size and that made them easy to tow, fast, and fuel efficient as well. They have stepped hulls, very deep Vs aqnd take chop nicely. They have rather unique styling that some like and some hate. We loved our 1998 Regal 2100 LSR and bought another Regal when we replaced it with something we could sleep aboard. I highly recommend you check one out. <br /><br />Good luck! <br /><br />Hey Kelly, nice to see a familiar "face".<br /><br />Dave

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

oops, posted that before I saw the price limit. Hmmm... early 90s I/O bowrider would fit the bill but I hope you are handy with tools; unless you totally luck out, it will require some effort to keep working at that price range.

mmainelli

Seaman Apprentice

Since you have a young family and a dog(?), and also expect to fish, look for a high-gunwale boat, or at least medium height (between your knee and hip, and then preferably with a hand rail. Very important to rest assured that everyone's "still on board", or your anxiety levels will rise. Will also want a bow that lends itself to easy anchoring. Might also want a cuddy, for wife and baby to rest out of the sun while underway or at anchor. Many times, you'll want to go or see places that they won't be interested in. Are you bay, lake or coastal? Forget honking engine. Get 3.0L or 4.3L max, in no more than 21 foo boat. Plan to handle the boat yourself.

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you buy a boat under $3k you are risking breaking down on your boat ride. In your situation, I would buy a brand-new boat to ensure no calls to SeaTow.

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're out with your buddies, that's a different story. You break down, you laugh about it. When you're out with your fam. especially little kids, you don't want to put them into that situation. My advice; Save up and get a Cruiser (28 feet). Imagine a yacht passes you. You see his wake coming at you. What do you do? Stop and ride the waves or go through them AT AN ANGLE (Advice). It doesn't matter because either way you are gonna be thrown around. In a Cruiser you'll be okay. Being in my mid-20's, I love going fast and getting thrown around. Would a baby like it though? Boating in a small boat isn't for little kids.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I would recommend 18- 21'.....I don't think you are going to be able to do that for 3K....but, I wiil say shop around if you have the time to look & the ability to post your findings here....I understand your "bottom line"....Welcome back! & Thanks!...Start by browsing right here on iboats to get an idea of what you will be comfy with :) ....JK

Pony

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by HollaGeo:<br /> If you buy a boat under $3k you are risking breaking down on your boat ride. In your situation, I would buy a brand-new boat to ensure no calls to SeaTow.
If you know what you are looking for and what things to look at when purchasing a boat.......A used boat does NOT mean its going to break down......nor does a $3000 price tag mean it will either. <br /><br /><br />Badandy- You will need to take into consideration that boat costs are higher here than most other places. Keep that in mind when some people here tell you something is too expensive.........boats are expensive here plain and simple.<br /><br />In Oshkosh you should have more than a few options of Marinas. Take your time and don;t rush into anything. Start looking now though while prices are down. You may end up paying a little more than $3000, but in the end it will be worth it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

having grown up with boats. the more open floor area is the better off you are with kids. it's no fun to be told to sit down and hold on. my siberian husky loves to go boating. but gets very hot on a sunny day and hunts the shade, or jumps in to cool off and then everybody is wet. have you consider a pontoon boat? canvas on the lower part of the rail to help keep the baby safe, bimini top for shade, movable deck chairs, mount a grills on the stearn, plus plenty of room for coolers, set up a pack & play for baby's nap time. of course keep a live jacket on the child at all times. good luck and safe boating. to quote someone else Break Out Another Thousand BOAT

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with tashasdaddy. As long as the ski mission isn't important, a pontoon makes a great family boat.<br /><br />Kelly

Hey badandy, last year I was new to boating myself and I bought a 1990 Larson Lazer 18' bowrider with a 4.3l Merc. I bought it from a local dealer and the boat was great. I have a wife and 3 kids aged 11, 9 & 6, the dog (German Shep) never came with us. We would always bring friends. It made for a crowded boat but we had fun. The next thing you will need is a tube or towable. We bought a two person tube called an Airhead VIPER. The kids had a ball. I found the boat a little small in rough water. We boat on Lake St. Clair and it can get choppy. At the end of the season I traded the boat back into the dealer (for what I paid for it) on a 23' Chris Craft Scorpion with a cuddy. I would recommend going to a dealership for the boat. They can offer great advise and the few little problems that I had with both boats they fixed no questions asked. Just my .02

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Take a look at a Starcraft open bow model. They're as light as is possible because they're aluminum so you can tow it with your truck, the open bow models offer extra seating and fishing space, they're usually powered sufficiently for skiing, they're deep enough for relatively big water and passenger safety, and you can probably find one in your price range.<br /><br />Worth a look anyway - more utilitarian than a glass boat but when cost matters you might find this to be a good value.

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just take your time, find out what kind you want and search. when people get in a hurry they get hit with a problem boat. So go slow and research what is around you. I found my boat after a lot of looking at a dealer who wanted to sell this 17 foot bow rider. I checked it out and saw it was taken care of by previous owner. I got it under $3000.00. The boat runs great, looks nice to me and has not given me a problem yet. Knock on wood. So good luck and happy boating.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

For family boating, I suggest something with a cabin. It is nice to have a place where the kids can go and sleep. Remember, boating makes the little ones drop fast. Mom can have privacy and use the head. She will appreciate that after spending a day in a bow rider and has no way of getting any privacy. Plus it's nice to have an ice box, tiny sink and fresh water and the combo dinette table/bed for making sandwiches and other meals or snacks out of the wind. As far as fishing goes, unless you are a hard core serious fisherman, any family boat and a styrofoam cooler will suffice for your fishing needs. <br /><br />My runabout has none of those features, but you can be sure the next boat we own will have a cabin.<br /><br />If you plan on keeping the boat in your driveway, anything over 19ft is getting rather big. The overall length of boat, outboard or outdrive and trailer will be around 26 feet for a 19ft boat. Plus some towns have ordinance about boats in driveways. You need to check that out. And your neighbors may not be as thrilled at the sight of a boat in your driveway year round as you are. Just something to think about.<br /><br />Also, don't forget to allocate $300 to $400 for basic safety equipment like life vests, throw bouy, spot light, first aid kit, swim ladder, lines, etc.<br /><br />Sign up for a boating safety course at the local Power Squadron near you. You will learn a lot.

scubatrooper

Seaman

I would suggest you take a look at the Caravelle 187 Fish & Ski model ( Caravelle 187 Fish & Ski ). It offers a lot for the money in a very versatile package with wood free construction, 8 foot beam, and a 4.3 liter V-6. Of course, I may be a little biased. I own the Caravelle 187LS model and have had no problems with this boat and it has great performance. My wife and I love this boat! Good luck and let us all know what you decide to purchase.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Steve

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Scubatrooper,<br /><br /> Noticed the 2000 conk in your sig. line. You a member of Concours Owners Group? Member #4633 here.<br /><br />Dave R