I think I found one...

eeboater

Commander
Ok, before everyone gets on my about the make of my potential vessel, hear me out :D :D <br /><br />Alrighty, the misses and I went to the local boat dealership today and I fell in love with.... a Bayliner :D <br /><br />Its a 1991 Bayliner 2050 Capri. The boat has the 5.0 Merc in it with the Alpha One out drive. From my initial looking at it, it looks very clean. I got the scoop on the previous owner, he owned a lake home here in Pewaukee and lived in Illinois. The boat is registered in Wisconsin which makes me believe that its spend its live at this guys lake home.<br /><br />I am going to be checking it out in further detail tomorrow night, to see what else I can find. It was outside today and it was raining pretty hard so I was unable to get a real good look at it. <br /><br />Here is a link to it...<br /><br /> http://wisconsin.skipperbuds.com/inventory_detail.asp?currdiid=415313# <br /><br />Alrighty, what do you guys think?<br /><br />Sean

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: I think I found one...

Sorry, EE....I can't give a 15 year old Bayliner my blessing, although it is a Merc....How many hours?....Is it just the image or does the prop look funky?..... $4,000 a'int bad on the trailer, but that Sea Ray is a better boat.....I say keep looking.....JK

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

So long as it's in good shape who cares if it's a Bayliner. I will add though that boats there sell for a lot more than here. In NH thats a 2500 boat. (if it's in good condition)<br /><br />I'm sure Bondo will approve. ;) <br /><br />Good luck, I hope it all works out for you. :)

Pony

Rear Admiral

The Bayliner argument is a moot point, so long as the boat is in good condition. I't a nice looking boat to say the least. <br /><br />Personaly Im leary of I/O, but thats just my personal feeling. If its in good working order etc, I imagine it will be fine.<br /><br />And yes Alden, boats here are not all that cheap. They pretty much decline from purchase and just sort of reach a plateau.<br /><br />On a side note however, buying from the owner I paid $800 less than pretty much the same boat I had seen at a few dealerships.( the one I bought was much cleaner and the engine was 5 years newer).

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

What ever you do dont buy any boat without a test drive. I dont mean a quick trip out and back, I mean a real test drive put it thru the paces, run it hard, hit some waves, run it long enough to show up any problems. Pay special attention to how solid the boat feels when you hit a wave, if it feels loose it may have structural problems. Stop and restart the engne several times. Make sure everything on the boat works, guages, bildge pump, blowers, lights, ect. Dont just accept it. And dont buy while your overly impressed. Take your time and look it over well.<br /><br />BTW it looks like that engine may have to be pulled to change the plugs and oil filter. :eek:

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well you asked for an opinion. Its a 14 yr. old I/O. Keep looking. Dont have anything against BAYLINERS but would avoid an I/O even if it is a fresh water engine. Reel Poor sure has some good advice, follow his suggestions. regards fred

LubeDude

Admiral

Too much money, and an I/O to boot. You have time on your side, take it and keep looking.

eeboater

Commander

Many thanks to the feedback from everyone!!<br /><br />I spoke with the previous owner this afternoon. He said that the boat was on a lift during the summer at his lake house. He has never had any mechanical problems with the boat other than fishermen who drove by his boat and got their lines hooked up in his depth finder, pulling the cables out.<br /><br />The dealer states that they test the compression and everything on the boat when they take it in. Plus the boat has a warranty on it from the day I put it in the water. After speaking with the previous owner, I trust that it was taken care of.<br /><br />I really have no interest in an OB... I've never liked them in general. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see it up close, see if I can find anything that will make me believe this is a bad purchase.<br /><br />Sean

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make him an offer and then be prepared to walk. <br />Never pay the asking price.<br /><br />Uncle Dave

berniehansen

Cadet

i have owned several older bayliners that were good boats...but you MUST check them out carefully...no rot in any wood and do the test drive like explained earlier and negotiate the price :) pay to have an experienced mechanic check it out could save you thousands in rebuild costs...the two older bayliners i bought i had them thoroughly checked over and they were in excellent condition but you must wade through the undesireables first. the expensive things to fix: motors, OD and rotten stringers/transoms (any boat) if you can stay away from those items all the rest is relatively easy to fix. i personally find alot of therapy in "tinkering" on my boats not just in driving them. but major items are expensive and no fun to deal with. have fun and savor the journey...dont buy with your heart buy with your CPA alongside

KRS

Banned

I know you've been looking, if you like it... what else do we need to know?<br /><br />Check it out and keep us posted !

eeboater

Commander

Tx all! I'll keep everyone posted! Pretty friggin exciting stuff if you ask me!!<br /><br />Sean

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You guys on the coasts don't seem to understand upper midwest boats or prices.<br /><br />This is considered a deal around here.<br /><br />Most boats around here get 30hours use per year. If they were taken care of, they get a good price for them.<br /><br />My 16' aluminum fishing boat with a Force 70 would sell for that price. So would a 25 year old Lund 16' with a 40hp Merc.<br /><br />Like others said, insist on a test drive. Offer them $3500 and make it contingent on a test drive and survey. Cold it may be, but the Milw harbor is open and a romp on the waves is the only way to know if it is for you. Take your sunglasses or safety goggles so your eyes don't tear up in the cold wind.<br /><br />If everything checks out, plunk down the cash, take her home, and start adding accessories. :D :D <br /><br />My only concern is that you may not really know what you want yet. Or what you will be happy with. Boat construction, fit, and finish have changed alot in the last 15 years. But if you can get her for $3500, what do you have to lose?<br /><br />20'er is nice for the bigger lakes in the Fox Valley, or on Michigan. <br /><br />Go for it.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Another thing Sean, Bayliner uses a lot of unprotected plywood in their boats be sure to poke and prod around good, especially in corners and places that may hold water. Reach around in the ski locker and bildge areas trying to dig your hands into the wood. Soft spots in the floor should raise suspicion.<br /><br />Btw Id bet money they didnt do a compression test on "that" boat.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say its a good deal. you know alot about it already.if it were me i'd go for it.<br />javsam

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Might want to keep on searching EE particularly if you are going to be doing your own engine work. I have some experience workin on Capris and I can tell you there is no joy in doing so. Bayliner makes them look pretty and all, but completely ignores the need to service it later in their design. The problem is the engine is tucked low and way back under the rear "deck" and is then sorrounded on both sides by inmovable panels. This makes it extremely difficult to get at the engine. So unless you have very long skinny arms and are very limber, be prepared to be totally frustrated when making repairs or even just performing normal maintenance. Of course if your rich and can afford for someone else to endure the pain of doing so, then go for it. My .02 anyway. <br /><br />BTW, when water testing listen for bearing noise at different speeds with the engine cover open while rotating the steering from one stop to the other. Drive shaft bearing and U-joint wear and failure are common problems with an I/O and need to be checked for regularly along with inspection and replacement of the boot seals.

eeboater

Commander

Tx for the info Roscoe. I know there is some concern that I am not completely sure as to what I 'want' yet... but to be honest, I've been reading, reading, reading about the different boats out there for about 4 years now. I know this is what I want... the style, engine, type, etc.<br /><br />Plus, on top of it all, the price is right - very right.<br /><br />Reel Poor... thanks for the heads up... I am going to be performing a very close look at the flooring tonight when I get "up close" time with it. As of right now, that is my biggest concern as from what I have read Bayliners have the tendency to rot. But after speaking with the previous owner, my hopes are high as it seems he had it covered up pretty well all the time. <br /><br />Williamette, I see what you are talking about as far as the motor being tucked in there. This is another 'concern' of mine that I am going to take a closer peek at tonight. I am a very 'small' guy (5'9", 150 lbs) and am skinny as a rail so I think I might actually be ok on this. Of course, this needs to be verified in person.<br /><br />And Roscoe, you are right. Out here in the Sussex/Pewaukee area, it is the perfect sized boat for all the lakes. I don't really intend on taking it out on Michigan at all, but I live in "Lake Country" so there is plenty of water for me to play in.<br /><br />Question for everyone: when I am checking out the boat tonight, can you recommend anything to watch for in the engine compartment and outdrive? Also, I know that I can check for floor rot by opening the ski hatch and looking at the floor that way, but is there any other way that you guys can suggest I test for a rotten floor?<br /><br />Thanks again for all your feedback.<br /><br />Sean

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am a very 'small' guy (5'9", 150 lbs) and am skinny as a rail
Dang it - eeboater, for the longest time I was hoping you actually looked like your avatar.... :D <br /><br />Anyway, it's good that you'll be getting back out on the water. I'd say, go ahead and buy it. Even if it turns out to be less than perfect, it still beats having no boat at all.<br /><br />To check the engine, the most obvious telltale would be dirt, soil or spills where there should be none, or discoloration from overheating or leaks. Wires should be fastened, hoses should be double-clamped, filters should be clean, oils should be clear, and everything should look neat and tidy. <br /><br />To check for rot, bring a flashlight and poke around heavy-handedly with an awl inside all the dark spaces near the bottom. Feel around for moisture - there should be none anywhere.<br /><br />Good luck!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> <br />I am going to be checking it out in further detail tomorrow night, to see what else I can find. <br />Sean
Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> This is another 'concern' of mine that I am going to take a closer peek at tonight. <br />Sean
One more small detail DONT LOOK at it AT NIGHT!!!! :eek: Look at it in broad daylight and still bring a flashlight.

eeboater

Commander

Alright... I checked it out...<br /><br />Honestly, it is in better shape than I could have ever imagined. The dark spots on the floor are nothing but dirt. I had a large fear that the floor was rotten and this boat was junk... but I spend over 30 minutes last night pounding on every square inch of that floor with a hammer and tip of an awl to check for soft spots. Needless to say that sucker is solid! It was a bit damp because it was out in the rain for the past two days, but once it is dried out it should be better.<br /><br />The hull is very clean. There are some scratches on the bottom of the hull near the keel but I think those are to be expected on a 15 year old boat. There were no "chunks" missing from the hull whatsoever.<br /><br />There were no visible signs of leaking from anywhere in the motor. I could see the white fiberglass in the bilge area; it did NOT look like it was recently cleaned so I'm not worried about that.<br /><br />The previous owner left some of the receipts for the service work he had done to the boat with the manual for the boat. After flipping through them I found out that he had all the service done at the place I'm buying the boat from. The dealer is going to provide me a full list of its service history. But just as I was flipping through the receipts, I noticed that it recently had the water pump replaced. I'll find out what else it has had done to it.<br /><br />To top it all off, as I was poking around inside the boat, I found a full convertible top up under the port-side glovebox. It had the full back and windows for it as well. The dealer didn't even know it was up and in there!<br /><br />Needless to say, this boat is in great shape and the fact that I'm walking away with it for $4,095 bucks is a steal - - for this area.<br /><br />Sean