is a boatshow the place to buy ?

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for a bow mount trolling motor for my 21ft. weekender. The Toronto Boat Show is coming up in a couple of weeks and I thought that may be the place to do my shopping. <br /> Anybody have an opinion or experience?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: is a boatshow the place to buy ?

You can get some really good deals at boat shows!....Do some homework in the mean time....So you have some models/prices to compare....JK

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check your prospects on the first day ...... then....The last day of the show is usually the good deal day. They won't have to pack up the stuff and haul it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check prices at various outlets such as Cabela's, here at iBoats, Bass Pro Shops and others so you have a bench mark going into the show. Try this also -- decide on a specific make/model of motor you want. At the show, give each vendor you visit a spec sheet for the motor telling them you will be back in X hours to pick up the sheet on which they indicate their lowest price. Low bid of the group wins. Had a friend try this a few years ago on a new boat, motor, trailer, accessories package. The look on the a couple dealers face was priceless when my friend showed up to collect the sheet. The dealers comment for not providing a price?: "I didn't think you were serious!" A boat package was purchased at the show.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I think a Boat Show is a great place to see what is available, but before you go you need to do some work. You should know the distance from your bow deck to the water. You should know the Length and weight of your boat and gear.<br /><br />Also think about what type you want. Will you use it in Saltwater or only Fresh water. How do you want to run motor, With a foot peddel or a remote control. Do you want an auto pilot where you set the direction and speed you want to go and the motor steers itself and stays on course.<br /><br />Check Iboat, Cabelas, and Bass Pro to see what brands are out there then go to their WEB sites and find guidelines for shaft length and power for you size boat. Check prices so you know if someone offers you a good deal. Ask about warranties.<br /><br />In general the shaft length should put the blade 2 feet under the water. Large boats need high thrust. Small boat with a high thrust can cause someone to get off balance and fall in. <br /><br />Better units have circuits to use less battery power for the same thrust. Most of these circuits are a form of pulse power. If the motor is too small and you have to run on high power all the time will run the battery down faster than a higher thrust motor run at half power. Reason for this is most of the power saving circuits do not save any power when run on the higest settings. <br />Good Luck and enjoy the Show.