Replacing Teleflex Steering Cable

jgough

Cadet
I bought a teleflex cable to replace the old one I had on my sled. It's a good, new rotary-type cable and looks fine. One problem though: the part that fastens to the steering mechanism is not there...the old cable had a threaded plastic "cap" that slides up the cable to where the bare end goes into the rotary mechanism, then it could be screwed on by hand to keep the cable up in the steering. THen new cable doesn't have this...am I screwed? Thanks for reading... :(

D

DJ

Re: Replacing Teleflex Steering Cable

Most of the new cables are attached with a clevis pin.

deerhound

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing Teleflex Steering Cable

Thi is the very problem I encounterd when I replaced my steering, I phoned around many dealers with same reply "If it didn't come with steering you will not get one" I gave up tried other grommets/ bellows form cars etc then I ordered a new tiller arm, the one that arrived had new gland plastic coller the goes over the extending steering rod and screws onto engine monting/ tilt area? I bought a Mercury tiller arm which has same distance 10.5inches between centres as my Evinrude required, so you will get one by this means. JBD If you want me to send you a picture of mine email me at jamesd030@aol.com