Steury/mercury set up

nebbe

Cadet
Been looking for a boat for water skiing, and came across a mid 70's steury with a 1979 Mercury 90 hp outboard. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, seller wants $1500. Not an expert on what fiberglass boats this age typically run. Any issues with this era of Merc's?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Steury/mercury set up

Sounds too high, especially for this time of year. I can't possibly imagine that boat worth much more than a grand. I know it's hard to tell with the freezing temps and all, but carefully check for rot. A 70s boat is all but guaranteed to have significant rot in the floor, stringers, and transom. Problem with freezing temps is that the water that gets absorbed into the wood will be firm. All-in-all, those are strong 90s. Get a compression and spark check and check the gearlube.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Now that I think of it, I think Steury only made metal boats in the 70s. If that's the case, rot might not be such a major consideration. Wood tends to last longer in aluminum boats because it doesn't have glass holding in the moisture. Something to consider. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat topic.