Raising Motor

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class
1988 merc blk max 150<br /> I want to raise the motor on my CC. The catavation plate rides about 2in, below the bottom of the boat. Any tricks? I need to raise it 2 holes. I don't have a hoist to get it higher. Also how much does the moter weigh?<br /> Thanks, Dead Eye

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Raising Motor

lower the trailer jack, drop motor trim/tilt all the way down, block up motor and with a few friends use the trailer jack to lift front of boat which lowers back and raises engine. take bolts out first obviously. It would be good to have one person to jack trailer and at least 2 to help stabilize motor while it is being lifted. Maybe someone will come along with a better idea. :) good luck

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Most motors have one pair of holes slotted, so you can loosen them but leave them in so the motor won't fall off. That way you probably can do it yourself or with maybe one other helper.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Start by removing the lower unit to reduce the weight.<br /><br />Use a cable or chain to secure the motor to a garage rafter or large tree limb. then raise front of trailer/boat.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

What they said, but hang it instead. A good stout rope on a limb is usually good. That's a lot of weight and supporting it from below can get real scarey if it starts to tip...which it will. :eek: Better yet, do both. :)

Moody Blue

Captain

Borrow lifting eye from local merc shop (nice guys !!) and rent hoist for $15.00/4 hours. No strained backs, no pinched fingers and no motor laying on the ground :D

TQUIN45

Cadet

Great idea Formula1974. Using the trailer jack works great. It is a one person job.I suggest the following modification to original approach. Leave the bottom bolts in but loose, remove the top two bolts. Before removing bolts cut a 29" (approx) piece of 2" X 10" cut to fit around the motors bracket right at transom and wedged between bracket and ground. Raise front of trailer, back of boat goes down, motor stays put. Replace bolts and tighten. Thanks Formula1974.<br />Tom Quinn<br />PS- I also used 2 wedges of wood between bracket and transom top, just for stability- probably not needed.

TQUIN45

Cadet

Great idea Formula1974. Using the trailer jack works great. It is a one person job.I suggest the following modification to original approach. Leave the bottom bolts in but loose, remove the top two bolts. Before removing bolts cut a 29" (approx) piece of 2" X 10" cut to fit around the motors bracket right at transom and wedged between bracket and ground. Raise front of trailer, back of boat goes down, motor stays put. Replace bolts and tighten. Thanks Formula1974.<br />Tom Quinn<br />PS- I also used 2 wedges of wood between bracket and transom top, just for stability- probably not needed.