Dri-Dek Floor Tiles

SiggiJo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone tried Dri-Dek flooring. It´s the plasticky-rubbery tiles you snap together. <br /><br />Was going to carpet my boat, but my boat will be used for fishing as well, so carpet does not make much sense. Thought about applying gelcoat on the floor and put these tiles on top, so if anyone is familiar with this, I´d be interested to see how it worked out.

SiggiJo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Dri-Dek Floor Tiles

Thanks Rabidfish - this looks like a good stuff.<br />Not sure if I can easily get it in England though and I´m sure it´s classified as Dangerous Goods, so shipping it from USA would be quite costly.<br /><br />If anyone in the UK knows if this is available here, it would be good to hear from you - thanks.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Whilst in the United Kingdom, the product is sold under the name of ProtectaKote, in the United States of America it can be found under the name of both Durabak and Herculiner.<br />
The quote is taken from their UK dealer: Paco <br /><br />Google is a wonderful thing.... :cool:

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I have the Dri-Dek snap together tiles in my anchor well as well as the floor inside the center console. It works wonderfully. I never thought of using them for the complete deck though. (I don't have a carpeted deck) How would you keep them from shifting around? Do you think they would slide out from under you?<br />Just my .02<br /><br />Dave

SiggiJo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys - I have contacted Paco for info - looks like that may be a good solution.<br /><br />I´m still considering the Dri-Dek tiles as well.<br />As my boat is small (14´)and tiles can be cut to fit the boat contour, I figured as long as I can make it a snug fit for the entire boat floor, sliding should not be a problem. Dave, do you think this is feasable?<br /><br />I think the flexiteek and tek-dek are probably a little too up-market and pricey for my purpose.

Dory1956

Recruit

I have the Dri-Dek tiles installed on the floor of my boat, a 16' C-Dory angler. The floor area is about 5' by 6'. They work great as long as the temperature is less than 80 degrees F. If it gets much warmer than that, they get real soft and spongey which makes them difficult to walk on. Fortunately, I am located in Washington State and rarely see temperatures that high, so they work good for me.<br /><br />Al

SiggiJo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK - I have a plan.<br />ProtectaKote is going on the floor and sides AND<br />Dri-Dek tiles on top of that, covering the entire boat floor. I can even get them in blue and gray colours to match my boat.<br /><br />I can then just hose down the floor when needed and it should look smart and be very functional!<br /><br />Thanks for your help guys and Merry Christmas!!

rabidfish

but of course...<br /><br />When you own a C Dory...<br />Everything is GREAT!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Dory1956:<br /> I have the Dri-Dek tiles installed on the floor of my boat, a 16' C-Dory angler. <br />
I have thought about something like this on the casting deck of my Bass boat, what would keep them from flying out at WOT, can they be fastened down somehow?

Dory1956

Recruit

The tiles are pretty heavy once they are all locked together and they are an open grid so it would be hard for the air flow to get a suction on them. Of course it all depends on how fast the bass boat is going!<br /><br />Al

swist

The problem with the stuff is that it does a good job of trapping and abrading against the real deck any sand/dust/crud that falls off shoes. This can be a nightmare to clean up - if you can clean it up at all - particularly if you have molded-in nonskid gelcoat.<br /><br />So it may depend on whether or non you want your real deck back some day.