newbie binocular question

bandit86

Banned
so I read here that anything over 10x zoom is hard to keep on target, especially on a small boat (mine is 24ft) on semi rough water ( on great lakes)<br /><br />I wanted something with more magnification then the 7X50 or 8X50 recommended, can I not use a larger magnification and zoom out like with a camcorder, or is the zoom fixed on these things and focus is adjustable?<br /><br />also, what is range finding for, should I bother getting it?<br /><br />Signed, Total Newbie

Bondo

Staff member
Re: newbie binocular question

Binoculars Don't Zoom,.... They Focus......<br /><br />You Could buy 10X or even 20X,....... You just Won't be able to See Anything,.... <br />You can't hold them Steady enough, being on the water......

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bondo is right, there is a reason you don't see more than 7x50 binocs on small boats.<br /><br />As for rangefinders, builtin compasses, etc. These really drive up the cost of binocs - you really need to evaluate how much you would use these features. In particular if you have a GPS charplotter, which is more and more common even on little boats, all you have to do is plop the cursor onto the object you are trying to measure and most units will give you a bearing/range instantly.<br /><br />Also don't make the mistake I always do - I can't bring myself to realize that good binoculars are always expensive - I keep buying elcheapos and when they crap out I buy another elcheapo. By this time I could have bought a decent pair. Marine conditions are tough on delicate optical devices.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo said...
Binoculars Don't Zoom,.... They Focus......
Binocs don't zoom? Tell that to Bushnell, who made my 7-15 X 35 zoom binoculars. For regular use, I keep them at 7 power, which is good for bouncing around on the water. Zoomed in to 15 power, they are only good on land.

Bondo

Staff member

OK Mike,........<br /><br />Traditionally,.........<br /><br />Binoculars Don't Zoom,.... They Focus......<br /><br />Is That Better......??....... :rolleyes:

JRJ

Commander

For use on a boat, image stabilizing binoculars would be my choice. As mentioned above, good glass isn't cheap.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wasn't meaning to be nasty, Bondo...sorry if I came across that way. He said he was a newbie, and I didn't want him to be confused.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is your specific need for high power binoculars? Are you planning to check out girls tanning on the bow of a boat across the lake or are you looking for schooling fish chasing bait off the surface?<br /><br />In order to recognize additional magnification, (zoom or whatever you guys wish to call it) you will usually end up diminishing your field of view. This is the prevailing reason you will recognize more paradoxical movement with higher powers. <br /><br />Unless you plan on shelling out the bucks for binoculars with roof prism, you can also plan on a significant size and weight difference between binoculars with a modest power / wide field of view than a high power / low field of view. <br /><br />Check out the Carl Zeiss Conquests which provide a range of power options with roof prisms in a rubber armored casing. With a lifetime warranty, it will probably be the last pair you will need to buy.