Fuel line quick connectors

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 75hp merc. and an 8 hp merc. both 2 strokes. The 8hp has the quick connector to attach the fuel line to the motor. The 75hp is hard wired or it doesn't have the quick connector it's like a permanent connection. I was wondering if I could get a quick connector setup for the 75. It came with the permanent connection.On long boating trips I would like to have a large portable gas tank 20-30 gallons or so along with the main 27 gallon tank. It would be very easy to just shut down the motor and plug in the new tank like I do when trolling with the 8hp motor. Will there be any bad side effects or anything I should know about before I do this (if is's possible). Thanks

gss036

Commander
Re: Fuel line quick connectors

If there is a slot on the motor housing you possibly could add a female connection there. If not, get a male and female quick connection just like you have on you 8 hp and cut your line and splice both fitting into it and you now have a quick connection. You did not say whether or not you have a primer bulb, I am assuming you do. Make sure get the right size connection for your fuel line.

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you Gary, I do have a primer bulb. So I wouldn't be running a risk or anything by using a quick connection on the 75? I wouldn't think so but since the 75 has so much more power I didn't know.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I seem to recall even the really old V-6s with quick connectors. No problem with the 75, it'll get plenty of gas flow.

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 78 175 has a quick connect and has no problems drinking fuel thru it!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Just make sure that you get the correct diameter fuel line.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Let me describe my set up because maybe you could set up your system the same way, or similar.<br /><br />I have two built in tanks. This is similar to you in that you have one built in and want to add a second (portable) tank. <br /><br />I also have a kicker and a main engine. Kicker has quick release, main has permanent fuel hose.<br /><br />My two tanks flow to a selector valve (see "Fuel Selector Valve" thread in this forum). Valve selects input from either tank and has a single output.<br /><br />both of my tanks, of course, are permanently fixed to the valve as well as the tank. Your portable would have quick release at the tank, so you could remove the tank. You could also probably hook up a quick release at the valve if you wanted to just get rid of the line when not in use, but it would probably be easiest and best just to have the quick release at the tank end.<br /><br />Your single output from this valve could then go to another valve (same kind of valve), but this would be set up so that the output would be selectable - either to kicker, to main, or both. (the valves can be used either way - to select input or output).<br /><br />On my setup, I have a variation of this utilizing an in-line water separating filter (which I think EVERYONE with a built in tank should have - if you don't, consider getting one).<br /><br />The output from the selector valve goes into water separating filter. The filter has two outputs, each with an on/off valve. Outputs go to main engine fuel line and to kicker fuel line. In other words, the valves on the separating filter substitute for the second valve I suggested above.<br /><br />Like I said, the main fuel line is permanent, the kicker can be removed at the engine. I can have outputs to both engines open and both engines running without any fuel flow problem. I strongly suggest that this is important because I always like to get my main running before I turn off the kicker, and vice versa.<br /><br />This sounds complicated, but really is a good way to go for two different fuel supplies and two different engines.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

PS: I just remembered another detail. The primer bulb goes just before the engine, after all the selector valves. In other words, the fuel line that feeds the main engine has it's own bulb, pretty close to the engine. The line feeding the kicker has it's own bulb as well, again, just before the connection to the engine.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey D!<br /><br />Nice setup. Was thinking of doing a 3 way valve near the motor so I could switch between the new permanent tank I'm installing and a portable. Thought of threading the male quick disconnect into the 3 way valve so when the portable is removed the hose can be too.<br /><br />My question is how do the 3 ways mount? I was hoping to find one with a threaded shaft so it could be mounted to a flat pannel from behind and all you would see is the lever/pointer of the valve, the hoses being behind the pannel. But I can't figure out how they mount from the pictures of them in catalogs. <br /><br />Can you shed some light on how the 3 way valve mounts?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I think I understand what you're trying to do: Mount the valve so that just the handle is showing. It is mounted on or through a flat panel and the hoses are behind the panel, so they're not visible. Sort of like a key would be mounted on a dashboard - just the key slot is visible, all the wires behind? I think you could do this with the unit I have.<br /><br />The valve I have is like this one, take a close look at it. I think you'll be able to do what you want:<br /><br />Tempo 3 way valve - I boats <br /><br />You can see three fuel ports - two inlet ports on a plane perpendicular with the valve shaft and one outlet port parallel with the valve shaft. <br /><br />The mounting bracket is hard to see on the photo - it's parallel to the inlet ports, pretty much right at the top of them, sticking out the back. There's two holes for bolts or screws. The bolts/screws would go through the mounting bracket parallel to the outlet port and valve shaft.<br /><br />I'm assuming you can work from behind the panel/bulkhead. Cut a hole the diameter of the body of the valve (that the handle shaft goes into). From behind, work the handle through, and push it so the valve body seats into the hole and the mounting bracket is against the bulkhead/panel on the back side. If it'ts a thick enough panel, you'd attach with the proper screws, screwed in from the back. Only the valve handle and shaft would be protruding from the panel. <br /><br />If it's thin, you'd have to use bolts - I'd put the head of the bolt on the outside of the panel/bulkhead and nylock nuts on the inside. This would have the valve handle and the bolt heads showing on the outside of the panel. I'd use either stainless or brass hardware - either would match the valve since the body of the valve is brass and the handle itself, I believe, is stainless.<br /><br />With this installation, the valve shaft on the outside of the panel and outlet port inside the panel, would then be horizontal but perpendicular to the panel. The inlet ports will also be horizontal, but parallel to the panel and probably be right next to it the backside. You might have to use a spacer of some sort to give enough clearance for the hoses to fit onto the ports. <br /><br />Hope this makes sense. My valve is mounted completely external on a piece of angle with the valve shaft /outlet port vertical - all the hoses show. It's not a very tidy look, but it fits the boat and is secure. <br /><br />Good luck - let me know if this works for what you want, I'm curious if I've pictured this correctly.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

D.<br /><br />Yes, that is what I am trying to do. I didn't realize those two pieces were mounting flanges. <br /><br />The pannel I was thinking of mounting it on is either a part of the gunnel or a part of the splashwell you see from inside the boat. The fiberglass is probably only about 1/4" or 3/8" thick so it will take some spacers and plywood blocking to get the valve handle nearly flush to the surface. But I think it would be worth the effort to keep the hanle from sticking out so it wont hang up on anything passing by.<br /><br />Darn, that is one expensive little valve!<br /><br />Thanks for taking the time to explain it all for me.