mariner starting problem

I have a 1996 Mariner 25EL, s# 06399170. Ihave tried two fully charged baterries and still can not get the motor to turn over. :confused:

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: mariner starting problem

Make sure you are in neutral.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Are you getting anything at all? A click? Try going directly to the starter with jumpers and see if it turns over. The engine will turn by hand, right?

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you try spraying the bendix on the starter with WD40 and free it up.....I happen to know that it has sat for a while! Just a thought!

studlymandingo

Commander

If it is not the starter, can you put a socket on the crank and turn it?

studlymandingo

Commander

If it is not the starter, can you put a socket on the crank and turn it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what it going? won't turn over isn't very descriptive. is it clicking, is starter spinning & not engaging in flywheel? need more info to start to make a guess. have you tried taking the plugs out and turning by hand? by the way, welcome to iboats.

When i turn the key i get a short click. I checked the voltage at the starter and i am getting 12.45 volts. I also can't get it to turn over by hand pulling. The engine does turn by hand, and i will try to take jumpers to the starter. Thanks Tiller71 , I will try some WD40.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the motor will not turn by hand do not try to jump it. Pull the plugs and put a few squirts of marvem mystery oil in each cylinder and spary air in there to swoosh it around (with the motor in the travel position). Give it a day and then try to free it up. Beings that I know alittle personally about this engine I am rather sure it is nothing major. Just sounds like you have some corrosion and it will take a little to free it up. If that fails bring it over to 34's Saturday and we can free it up and run it in the dunk tank.