150 Merc troubles

blazerone22

Cadet
We were coming in off the river last week and the big motor just up and died, and will not start. I changed the plugs out and that made no difference. also when I try to start it, the alarm on the ignition goes off constantly, usually it just tweets a couple times and goes off... My motor is the 150 bluewater series in a 2002 Trophy, I have oil in the rezi, but before this happened I did open it up and added somemore while it was running, I did notice afterward is said not to open while the motor is running... Did I screw something up?

KCLOST

Commander
Re: 150 Merc troubles

You have a tank on the motor and the main oil resevior in the boat, correct?<br /><br />If set up this way, the tank on the motor should remain full at all times! As the resevoir tank in the boat is pressurized from the motor and constantly provides a supply to the motor tank.<br /><br />If the tank isn't full on the motor, the oil sensor on the cap will make the alarm sound.<br /><br />As to why your engine isn't running, I'm not sure! You may have an auto shut-down feature on it via the ALarm module if the alarm is going off, but I don't think you do.<br />Have you checked for spark at all of the cylinders, if not do it...

KCLOST

Commander

By the way, you are talking about a intermittent "beep,beep,beep,beep",, and not a constant "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"?

blazerone22

Cadet

It might have a little gap in there, I'll fill it until it overflows and try it again... BTW KCLOST its a "beep,beep,beep,beep" The weird thing is when I crank it over it just does not sound "right" its sounds a little different from what it normally sounds.... I bet I don't have 100 hours on this motor... Thanks for the quick answers guys... I'll post back after I fill it...

KCLOST

Commander

You do have a main oil resevoir in the boat correct?<br /><br />Make sure that the pressure line providing pressure to the resevoir hasn't disconnected! That could make the motor sound funny as you will hear an exhaust sound that shouldn't be there (happened to me once). The tank on the motor should "always" be full as long as there is oil in the resevior in the boat...<br /><br />Check for spark also, with a spark gap tester set at 1/4" gap...

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hate to say it, but did you check the kill switch, might have accidently got switched, easy check .. good luck ron

blazerone22

Cadet

Originally posted by ronnieboy:<br /> hate to say it, but did you check the kill switch, might have accidently got switched, easy check .. good luck ron
Thats the first thing I checked... I hit that switch one time in the fog coming in up in the Stright of Juan Defuca up at Neah Bay in Washington during a rough ride in... Scared the poop out of me when it died... It took twenty minutes to figure out what happend, everyone else on the boat just dropped their lines and went fishing... lol<br /><br />I filled it to the top and the beeping went away... I had to get to work so I did'nt get a chance to hool the hose up and see if it would fire up... I'll post back when I get a chance to do it...

blazerone22

Cadet

Alrighty its still having issues... I'm still getting that beep,beep,beep,beep when I try to start it.... Does my model have that poly gear on the crank that goes out? It does sound funky when I turn it over also... What should I check next guys? thanks

KCLOST

Commander

"Make sure that the pressure line providing pressure to the resevoir hasn't disconnected! That could make the motor sound funny as you will hear an exhaust sound that shouldn't be there (happened to me once). The tank on the motor should "always" be full as long as there is oil in the resevior in the boat..."<br /><br />Do you have an oil resevoir tank in the boat??????<br />Next think to check is the pump, pull if off and check for gear shavings that may be from the plastic drive gear in the crank case...<br /><br />You need to make sure that oil is first, getting from the main resevoir to the tank on the motor via the pressure line, second that the oil is getting to the pump, and third that the pump is operating properly. You could run the engine on premix and pull the oil line to determine that, but the proper amount is another story.<br />If everything is working, the cap on the tank could be the culprit, the alarm module, or a switchbox problem... Which is why I wanted you to check for spark...

blazerone22

Cadet

I checked for spark this morning, I do have it... I'll check that line when it quits raining...

blazerone22

Cadet

Well I got it running, Turned out it was the flywheel.... The nut had backed off and popped up, chewed up the splines a little, I'm still debating on replaceing it, Probally should, 375.00 from merc... I'm glad it was nothing to major... lol had me worried, they must of not torqued it correctly at the factory....