1963 Merc 60 6hp twin cyl. Running hot and dies

kda1014

Cadet
Hi again, I got my motor running, but it seems to run hot and dies. At low rpms it does not spray water from the pump; is that normal? At hi rpms it seems to spray good.IT is a 1963 Merc 60 6 hp twin cyl. :confused:

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1963 Merc 60 6hp twin cyl. Running hot and dies

It sounds like a set in the impeller, change it

kda1014

Cadet

I did replace it maybe I screwed it up. I can replace it again. What is a set in the impeller? I'm a little green.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

A set in the impeller would mean that it had gotten old and stiff, and the vanes don't flex. A new one should not do this.<br /><br />Tell us more--does it get hot only when idling? Or only when running wide open? In other words, does it just get hot when there is no water coming from the tell tale?<br /><br />You may need to check for restrictions in the water pathways. Try dropping the lower unit again, and blowing compressed air or a stream of water back through the pee hole.<br /><br />Were there missing pieces on the old impeller? These can lodge in the water passages.<br /><br />Is the water intake unobstructed?<br /><br />Good luck!

kda1014

Cadet

It gets hot faster at about half throttle. Full throttle gets hot but slower. Idle seems to do ok for a while I think but I've been leary of idling too long. I'll try the things you've suggested over the next couple of days and get back to you. Thanks, Dave