rough idel and lots of white smoke 150 V6

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Every one I have a 1983 150V6 BlackMax 2.0 Ser#6443480,Mod#1150624.This is a problem that I have had for a while now.When hooked up on the water hose it starts up fine but smokes bad and idels real rough it leaves a oily black film on the grass,and you can smell the raw gas comming from the exhaust.put in new plugs same thing still.does not seem to be missing.more like flooding.this is the same way on the lake also.only runs smooth at WOT.thought I might try to lean it out but do not see any adjustments on the carbs.i am mixing oil 50.1 1pint to 6gallons of gas.i have taken carbs off and cleaned them out no difference.what should i do next rebuild the carbs?

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: rough idel and lots of white smoke 150 V6

If you pump the fuel bulb without it running, does fuel run out of any of the carbs? Sounds like you may either have a stuck float or a bad needle and seat.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

It's probably time for a carb rebuild. Or at the very least a carb cleaning. Both of which require dissassembly, cleaning, compressed air and new gaskets. <br /><br />The carb rebuild is just new needles and seats + all of the above.<br /><br />The black film on the grass is normal. It the excess unburnt fuel/oil.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK guys,Took the backfire cover off the carbs and pumped the fuel bulb,no gas leaking from them.Not even with the moter tilted slightly.I guess its time for a rebuild on the carbs.I only have a few guestions,is this some thing that I may be able to do my self?I am pretty mechanickly inclined.Im good with car motors,do I need any special tools?does anyone know the part numbers for the carb kit and the waterpump kit also? Thanks guys you all are a great help!