Mercury 150 Tell tale

McFish

Cadet
I have just bought this motor (1993 150 V6 2.0 Black Max) and have been unable to get a tell tale with flush muffs on or in a barrel of water. There does seem to be water coming from two holes directly above the hydrofoils and tell tale has cold air coming out from it. I will try to put in the water and check again but was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions. I was under the impression that the engine was running fine for previous owner so had not thought about changing impeller.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Mercury 150 Tell tale

You first do need to pull the lower unit off and service the water pump (replace the impeller).. Second, I would replace the t-stats and poppet valve assembly. <br />You have no idea when these parts were last replaced so do it now...<br /><br />They are all critical to the proper operation of the cooling system...

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

be sure to replace top and bottom water tube seals, they cause lots of problems if they dont seal.

studlymandingo

Commander

DEFINITELY don't run that motor without figuring out the tell-tale. You can backflush the tell-tale to see if it is clogged. But if you personally do not know the motor, it is cheap insurance to replace the water pump assembly, t-stat, and poppet. Much less expensive than pistons and cylinders.

McFish

Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys, I have taken the engine back to the dealer i bought it off and told him to replace impeller and t-stats and poppet. He had told me that he would give the engine a full service prior to delivery first time around however it appears his mechanics just fitted the engine and sent the boat to me!!<br />Hopefully i will get her back in full working order within a week or two. Thanks again for the advice and compliments on a wonderful forum, i have only discovered it and i will be eagerly advising all angling/boating buddies to log on from this side of the Atlantic (UK and Ireland).