Any opinions on an outboard for 2K????

kozman01

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, I have a 1976 16' Silverline. I love my boat and can't afford to move up yet. The motor is a 1969 Merc. 800 80hp. When it runs, it seems to run fine. It does cause me problems and I do work on it all the time. My controlling half has advised me that the budget this year has approved me for 2K for recreational purposes. I will keep my boat for a few more years and am looking to try and repower with something more reliable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The 80hp has a 15 pitch prop and tha tseems to run fine for what we use it for. I believe the boat is rated for 90hp. Thanks again for any tips or where to look. I checked iboats of course but those engines are out of my league. Have a good on and thanks again.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Any opinions on an outboard for 2K????

how bout just using that 2000 and repairing or replacing whatever is ailing yours. heck even a complete rebuild would be less than that! and youd have NEW, not used

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm with mike on this one though I had a 1970 800 many years ago that I ran all over south Florida for 7 years. Great motor - - mine succumbed to salt water corrosion. <br /><br />$2k will get you a much later model OMC V4 but still a used one. You are just as likely to spend some bucks and time getting a newer one up to snuff as you will with the one you have.<br /><br />If you still want to go for it you might check here:<br /><br /> http://www.boattraderonline.com/

kozman01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the response gentlemen. I'll check out those sites. I'm really not sure if my 1969 motor is worthy of putting 2K into it. I'll have to think about this one. Maybe I can squeeze a few more dollars out of the warden. I saw a 1993 Merc 90hp for 2500. Thanks again!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We have no problem with suggesting other vendors, even those that compete with iboats, but:<br /><br />If you post a link to a competitor it has a negative effect on iboats standing in the marketplace research that counts linked hits.<br /><br />Please, just name the vendor and let the other members google it.<br /><br />Thanks. :)