'73 Mercury 850...I'm stumped

newguy7

Recruit
I just took over a '73 Mercury 850 and have been trying to get it running. I rebuilt the carbs to stop some leaking. Now I have good spark on all 4 wires, good compression, and I know gas is getting to the chambers. Yet, all I can get it to do is crank but it won't ever fire...I'm at a total loss, anyone have any suggestions?

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: '73 Mercury 850...I'm stumped

Some of the old mercs you just about have to flood them to start cold. Try pumpimg the bulb until hard then give 2 or 3 extra hard slow pumps also make sure motor is all the way down. Some people use a spray bottle with pre mix fuel and spray down the carbs. be careful and don't start a fire! Hope that this helps, Tim

newguy7

Recruit

just tried that and it worked! you're a genius! thanks a lot!

timmathis

Lieutenant

Now newguy7 I would run a good dose of seafoam in the fuel and you may be supprised on how much easy-r it may start. Alot of times it will help clean out the fuel supply and make it start better. <br />Glad I was able to help, Tim

timmathis

Lieutenant

P.S. And welcome to iboats. <br /> Tim Mathis

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Tim,<br /><br />You get the Attaboy. Feels good doesn't it? Being able to help someone and it work....course they have to participate too; but when they do and it works; like this example...... Must be one reason we surf this site.<br /><br />Mark

italianguyy

Recruit

Now newguy7 I would run a good dose of seafoam in the fuel and you may be supprised on how much easy-r it may start. Alot of times it will help clean out the fuel supply and make it start better. <br />Glad I was able to help, Tim
tim i have same motor it runs a1 but its been sitting a while in storage what should i do before starting it ? is it ok to start up ?

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to Iboats...that was a 2 year old post you dug up! How long has it been in storage? search for the "awakening a sleeping outboard" post.