1988 I6 115 long term storage issues?

Bleached

Recruit
Hi all, great forum here. I've already learned tons by searching around. <br /><br />I've been looking for a "budget" center console for a while now to keep out on a mooring. The boat in question here is a 1991 Challenger (more below) hooked up to a 1988 Merc 115 I6. I've got a few questions regarding the I6. This will be my first outboard, but have plenty of experience with sail/IO boats.<br /><br />First, the burning question. This particular motor only has a handful of hours (confirmed)on it in it's lifetime. It spent the better part of the last 10 years outside (on land) attached to the Challenger hull at a small, privately owned marina. How it came to be is a bit of a story, which I can dive into later if anyone is interested, but take my work on it. It was pickled every winter and run periodically. 5 years ago, it was put into use for 2 weeks before being replaced by a Boston Whaler. Prior to those 2 weeks, the stator and portions of the ignition system were replaced. The carbs were also rebuilt (I assume from being gunked up and sitting). The motor runs great and even looks almost brand new (it was in the shade). Should I have any concerns from having sat for so long? Seals, dry rot, rings, or have I found a truly rare deal? Advice would be much appreciated.<br /><br />2. Is this motor rated at the prop or crank? <br />3. How do the I6's do in salt. I've heard from other sources that they don't really agree. She would spend half the season at a mooring and the other have on a trailer, dispersed pretty evenly. <br /><br />OK, the other boat I'm looking at has a 1998 Merc 150 EFI, recently rebuilt. Any thoughts on these motors? The boat it's attached to is rough, so I'm leaning toward the Challeneger, but it doesn't hurt to ask.<br /><br />Finally, for the New England boaters out there, has anyone ever heard of Challeneger boats (not offshore or yacths, those I've heard of) produced out of Bristol, RI in the early 90s? I forgot to grab the MIC off of the hull last week, but will do that after work today. I'm impressed with the build quality. The hull is similar to the smaller Mako CC's. <br /><br />Thanks for any help you can provide.