1993 merc 200hp TACH question

phatmanmike

Captain
i have a freshly rebuilt 1993 mercury 200hp offshore motor on the back of my 1984 mako 20'.<br /><br />heres the question, my tach will not register anything at all untill around 1100 or 1200 rpms.<br /><br />at idle, wich sounds(guessing)around 700 ish in the water, the tach doesnt move at all untill 1200 or so. <br /><br />also, my digital voltguage in the console reads 12.4v at idle and doesnt change untill i get to about 1200 rpms when it goes directly to 13.6V.<br /><br />i was under the assumtion that the charging system would make more than 12.4v even at idle.<br /><br />could this be a problem of the stator, cause i have a brand new one still in the box from a nother engine.<br /><br />any ideas are welcome. <br /><br />thanks, mike

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 merc 200hp TACH question

why not test the charging system as per the service manual?<br /> sounds like a rectifier-regulator issue more than a stator issue.<br /> the stator is a coil of wires and either works correctly or its broke. test the resistance and output.<br /> can you tell me which charging system your engine uses and is the flywheel vented ?

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: 1993 merc 200hp TACH question

flywheel vented? idunno? ill check, but i believe it has the dual regulator 40amp system, as opposed to the lower 16 amp system.<br /><br />the stator was just a random guess.<br /><br />the boat is in a storage away from the house, so i will check that flywheel for vents....