Reviving after 3 years....

KO

Cadet
Hello I just ran across a 1984 Bass Tracker with a original Mercury 50hp that I bought from a lawyer who received the boat as payment from one of his clients. The boat belonged to an older gentleman who's nephew got into some trouble. Enough of the story, anyways the boat has very low hours, and the lawyer who received the boat took it out maybe 5 times, had it serviced and checked out by the dealer and was said to be in great shape. I have been boat hunting for a while and seen many bass trackers and this 84 model is quite nice compared to many that are newer. To make a long story short I found the boat covered in his garage where it has been since October of 2003. The boat has a 50hp Mercury and has not been fired up in 3 years. Both of his sons moved out and he had no motivation to use it anymore. He said it ran great when last ran and all fuel was drained from it 3 years ago. I checked it out and the motor is extremely clean. I know what you are thinking, oh know it's a lawyer, but he is a friend of the family and he has no reason to lie about the condition, he definitely doesn't need the $ he just simply lost interest in the boat. <br /><br />My Question is (finally), what are the first steps you would take before starting this boat? I have bought some 2-Cycle Quicksilver Oil as well as Quicksilver lower unit oil and I plan to of course put fresh gas in it. Also, is there even a remote chance I will get lucky and this thing will not need a carb. rebuild and run great?<br /><br />Thanks for your time. Here are a few shots of the engine.<br />
boatmotor.jpg
<br />
bm2.jpg
<br />
carb.jpg

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Reviving after 3 years....

There is a good chance it will start right up. See if he will let you use some muffs and try to start it. well I'm not sure in this case he may wan't more for it if he sees it will start! I will leave it up to you about that.... Pic's look real good. Good Luck,Tim

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it starts, and runs on muffs. i would change the impeller, before taking it out on the water.

KO

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback guys. He threw out a price of $1,500 for the boat, I could not beleive it. As I said, he has nothing in the boat and it isn't like he really needs the $ so it's just a gain of extra garage space to him, I'm extremely excited about it. The boat has all the original paperwork, seats, carpet, etc. are in excellet shape, I will post results later on here. I'm very glad I stumbled upon this site as I'm sure it will be a great resource.<br /><br />Keith

timmathis

Lieutenant

I would sling a set of plugs in change the impeller and hit the lake. Be safe and have Fun!<br />Tim Mathis<br /><br />P.S. Make sure fuel tanks are clean.

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes as Tim said replace impeller and you may want to run some sea foam thru it. See FAQ for sea foam application. Sounds like a good deal.

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also check for gas line dry rot

KO

Cadet

Alright guys, we changed lower unit oil, mixed fresh gas and oil, brand new gas line, put the muffs on and crossed our fingers. I turned the key and there is a sort of clicking or humming sound. I pop the cover off and see that the gear from the starter isn't engaging with the flywheel, it is not coming upwards towards the flywheel. I see that there is some residue below the gear that could possibly be preventing it from sliding up and down, I spray it with some wd-40, wipe clean with a towel, hit the key again, it turns over once, twice, then fires up, maintains it's idle and purrs like a kitten, man it was nice. But then I get nervous, there is no water coming out of the pee hole (forgot correct term), about 10 seconds after startup it shoots out about 5 feet in a steady stream so I was very releived. I wanted to check and see if it would fire right back up so I killed it, turned it over and saw a spark where the gear engaged the flywheel, the instant I saw the spark the thing fired right back up, sounded goooood. Also noticed the thing has a "Turbo" stainless steel prop on it today. Very happy about the motor. Not bad for $1,500:)<br /><br />Thanks,<br />KO

mikmic2

Seaman

AHH, shut up already. <br /><br />Naw, just kidding. <br /><br />I'm just jealous. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

watch the water from the pee hole. that impeller might work now, but it's been dry for 3 years. take a piece of weed eater string about a foot long and push it up the pee hole (ouch). just to clear and gunk that may be there, should be part of yearly maint.

studlymandingo

Commander

I tried the weed eater thing on the pee-hole. Now I'm on my way to the hospital...I thought this was a boating site, not some home-remedy medical information board.... :eek: :eek: