Injection oil

jpen123

Seaman
I bought some synthetic injection oil from a dealer that said it will work fine for my motor. The oil says optimax and dfi motors but my motor is a 91 175 xri/efi. Is this the wrong oil or is it just fine for the motor

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Injection oil

This is from the mercury site.<br /><br />"While not intended to be used in all applications specifying a<br /> TC-W3 oil, the new synthetic blend OptiMax/DFI 2-Cycle oil will keep Mercury or Mariner OptiMax and DFI engines running at top speed and acceleration even under the most severe conditions".<br /><br />While I personaly beleive that you can use the DFI oil in a TC-W3 application, I wouldnt go the other way around.<br /><br />I would take it back and get the right oil, at least you will be saving a little money.

jpen123

Seaman

Looks like I'll have to drain the oil that is currently in the res.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by jpen123:<br /> Looks like I'll have to drain the oil that is currently in the res.
If you have already poured it in, it will be fine. (Better than fine) Its good oil but isnt necesary for your application.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Just to reiterate what AKA Lubedude is saying, because there seems to be a little confusion - the Optimax (aka DFI) oil will be excellent for your motor, no need to drain it. The issue is: this kind of oil (DFI oil) is much more expensive than "regular" TCW3 oil because it's engineered for the high-tech DFI engines. While it will work just fine for your EFI engine, it is not necessary and therefore you don't need to pay that premium price for it. If you don't mind spending the money, there's no reason NOT to use it (as far as I know). But, I think an overall recommendation for an older carb'd or EFI engine would be any TCW3 oil, depending on which brands you personally trust. Like the Quicksilver TCW3 oils, one of the other outboard engine manufacturer's name brand, or any other name in oil that you trust.