Mercury 150 Salt water series cutting out.

mda2002

Cadet
Mercury 150 Salt water series cutting out.

Hello all,<br />I have a Merc 150 that is cutting out at 5100 rpm and over. I believe it to be a fuel problem. I have installed a new inline fuel filter and it seemed to help.It was cutting out very slightly in the 4500 rpm range. I then installed a attwood fuel water sepertor that came from walmart :rolleyes: and this started after that. I have since ordered a racor filter in hopes that it may help. Im thinking that the attwood doesn't supply enough GPM , the package does't say how much it supplies but I figure I can't go wrong with the Racor either way. The cutting out is intermittent, sometimes worse than others. what else should I be looking for? The motor only has about 20 hrs on it and it's a 2004. Maybe tank pick up? I was told by the dealer that he thought it maybe the rev limiter but was advised by Walleyehed that this shoudn't be the case as the rev limiter on that motor was probably set at around 6200 rpm for that motor.thank you in advance .<br /> Matt

mda2002

Cadet
Re: Mercury 150 Salt water series cutting out.

Bump

gss036

Commander

I am surprised someone has not jumped in here, but sure does not sound like a fuel issue. Water in the filter will produce a surge normally. Have you drained your new filter in a clear jar to look at the fuel? I think your Atwood filter will work just fine, unless you just feel the need to have the Racor, then you can see if there is water in the filter. Mercury uses a small fuel line so I doubt if there is a problem of not enough fuel getting into the carbs.<br />Cutting out normally is associated with electrical problems, not fuel. Could be that you are dropping a cylinder at high RPMS. Reason??

mda2002

Cadet

bump

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you are dropping a cylinder.<br /><br />Chances are if that it were a fuel problem you would have troubles getting up to plane, not getting to a particular RPM. Tell us a little bit about the engine and the maintenance it has received. <br /><br />Have you changed the plugs lately?