200 hp Mercury starts by itself

Torres535

Cadet
I have recently went to the gulf the first day everything ran fine. The second day the motor wouldnt turn over. So, i pulled it out then check out the wiring then all of sudden it started by itself.Now it wont even start. Need help please.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 hp Mercury starts by itself

Man, you need to give us some details. We can't second guess your situation. Several things could be working here but to save lots of blabbing on our parts, explain in detail what is going on, symptoms and all.<br /><br />Mark

Torres535

Cadet

Ok here the details. when turing the key and pushing in the choke i can hear it click but it wont kick over. I check the voltage at the engine and iam getting good voltage. Everything else works tilt,trim and jack plate. When i touch the ignition wires it started. Could it be the switch.<br />The switch is a enclosed type so i cant see anyting with the switch. its a 200XL saltwater V6

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

When you say it won't kick over. Do you mean the engine is cranking but won't turn over or that the flwheel isn't spinning period. The click you hear everytime you push in the choke is the enricher valve.

Torres535

Cadet

the engine is not cranking at all. i hear nothing but when i messed with the wires underneath it started running when i had the key in the run position.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

The wires underneath what?<br /><br />Some clues:<br />-If the engine isn't in neutral it won't start. The yel/red wires under the console are key.<br />Just make sure the yel/red wires under your console running from your throttle/shift box to the ignition switch have a good tight connections. <br /><br />-The yel/red wire on the starting solenoid completes the circuit when the key is turned to the "on" position and gives power to the stater. So if either the ignition switch or the solenoid is faulty it won't crank.<br /><br />-Try jumping the across the solenoid and if the engine doesn't crank your battery is dead or you have corroded battery wires leading to the starting solenoid and/or loose connections.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

the kill switch won't prevent it from cranking, just starting

Torres535

Cadet

Ok i check the throttle and made sure its in netural, also i bypassed the kill switch and it still didnt start. I would check the solenoid but dont know what it looks like. If your talking where the battery leads connects and the other goes to the starter i jumped it across and it turned over. Is there a place where i can look at a manual online? Thanks for your help.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Alright you've nailed to either a faulty starting solenoid or ignition switch. A yes that was the starting solenoid where the "hot" battery lead connects.<br /><br />For the test below:<br />Terminals 1 and 2 refer to the larger terminals where the battery leads connects to.<br /><br />Terminals 3 and 4 refer to the two smaller terminals on the side of solenoid. They have a black ground wire and a yel/red wire.<br /><br />Starter Solenoid Test:<br />1.) Disconnect all wires from solenoid.<br />2.) Connect a multimeter to measure the resistance across terminals 1&2 on Rx1 scale.<br />3.) Connect a 12v supply acroos termials 3&4. You should hear an audible "click" and the multimeter should read full continunity or zero ohms. And if it doesn't replace the solenoid.

Torres535

Cadet

ok tested the solenoid no clicking whening putting 12 volts on terminals 3&4 and didnt even ohm out. I used a Fluke digtal meter if thats ok?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

That's ok. You need a new starting solenoid, they're cheap.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Looks like this is going to be another satisfied questioner.<br /><br />I find myself in the same situation. I am in the middle of something and ask for help. I send out an inquiry to "the world" and no one knows what my setup is, nor the situation and all. It's easy to forget that the people to whom you are addressing the question aren't standing next to you and that some words mean different things to different people. Grin<br /><br />Mark