Yearly Service?

Maloverde

Cadet
Hello to all, new to the site.<br /><br />I have a 1985 Champion with a Mercury 175 2stroke. I have had the boat 2 years and took it to a service shop last year. I would like to know what the mechanics do when you take your boat in for the yearly service so I can do it myself. I plan on purchasing a service manual. <br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yearly Service?

Yearly service would be fuel inspection for large built in tanks where the fuel may stagnate. Maybe the addition of a fuel stabilizer would be in order.<br /><br />Lower unit oil is usually changed on an annual basis and when changed the color is checked to insure that water has not intruded. If it's blue, black, or any color but yellow and milky, you are ok. Now, Pennzoil has a 100% syn lower unit oil out that is honey colored but it is clear. Don't get this confused with opaque milky water contaminated hypoid gear grease.<br /><br />All your moving parts get greased including removal of the prop and a grease coating on the shaft with a new retainer ring to keep the prop nut from coming off.<br /><br />The trailer wheel bearings need to be checked/serviced for dust or water intrusion.<br /><br />Inspect tires for problems and cracking and replace as necessary. Pressurize to recommended pressure via the sidewall recommendation.<br /><br />Check bunks (that your boat sits on) for rot and hardware failure.<br /><br />Check winch and lubricate.<br /><br />Check winch cable/strap for damage.<br /><br />All your electrical terminals need to be cleaned. On batteries, remove, clean and reinstall. A coating of vaseline or cup grease on top of the terminals (after mating) will help to keep contaminants out.<br /><br />Wiring to the battery wing nuts needs to be removed and cleaned. Then reinstalled insuring that the connections are tight.<br /><br />On things like a terminal block where screws are involved, just loosen the screw and retighten. The rotational process will clean it.<br /><br />You need to run your safety equip, bilge things and lights to insure all are in shape.<br /><br />Check that your fire extinguisher is in the green.<br /><br />Check the condition of your life jackets and paddle; anchor and lines and other things that you rely on.<br /><br />Check your first aid kit for completeness and freshness.<br /><br />Geez did I miss anything,<br /><br />Phew,<br /><br />Mark

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well basically, excluding the boat they should,<br />-make sure it runs before putting a dine into it<br />-check compression and change plugs if necessary<br />-link and sync. (check timing and carb synchronization)<br />-remove gearcase and service the water pump and change gear oil<br />-change fuel filter/filters<br />-remove prop and grease shaft<br />-check the charging <br />-check engine running temp<br />-check the power trim fluid<br />-grease engine where applicable<br />I may have left something out but someone will add on.

Maloverde

Cadet

Thanks for the run down. Would all that apply if I have only taken the boat out 4-5 times since it was serviced last year? <br /><br />Thanks again.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind that some things (like corrosion or stale gas) can be even more of a problem if you don't use the boat much.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

T-I-M<br /><br />Don't know where you are coming from but my dog smells overkill, big time.<br /><br />Mark

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

T_I_M is right on with the yearly maintenance. And add a waterpump/tstat/poppet assemlby replacement every other season. And a fuel pump rebuild and carb cleaning every 3 seasons. The motor will last forever.

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Maloverde , the main thing is proper and routine maintenance. Most things can be done by yourself , I would hope you can check your own tire pressure and know if your winch strap/cable is frayed and need of replacement.But when it comes to the engine if you don't know what your doing take to a good shop (ask other boaters in your area,you'll find out real quick who is bad )and have it done right.<br /><br /><br />Well I'm sorry you fell that Mark but what I described shouldn't take a good wrench more then 1 to 2 hours on any outboard ( excluding seized on bolts )and I believe if more people did this at the end of the season ( including a proper winterize )there should be no reason to bring a boat to a wrench at beginning of the year.Just drop it back in the water and flash it up.<br /><br />
On things like a terminal block where screws are involved, just loosen the screw and retighten. The rotational process will clean it.
I don't rude but do you also mean the the 45+ nuts on everything from the 2 switch boxes,starter solenoid.rectifier,coils,tilt switch and starter( I may have missed something)on a V-6 Merc that are coated with neoprene ?<br />Well that to me sounds overkill.<br /><br /><br />
If it's blue, black, or any color but yellow and milky, you are ok.
You forgot dark green.Thats good because it's the color of Merc High Pro gear oil, and thats a good color.<br /><br /> andy6374 ,your right I forgot about the stats every 2-3 years, especially in salt-chuck.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

T-I-M,<br /><br />Another sorta apology. Just realized that you are from BC and things up there are a lot colder than in N. Texas. Also I am in fresh water, and keep the boat in my shop on the trailer. So things that I blow off as unnecessary, I agree, can be very necessary for folks up your way or salt water, tropical climate folks, folks that leave their boat in a marina, floating.<br /><br />Mark

Maloverde

Cadet

I live in Imperial, CA and it is hotter than hell during the summer(110+). I only use my boat in fresh water. I leave my boat covered in front of my house when not in use. I am pretty mechanically inclined with cars and motorcycles, but don't have much experience with boat motors(yet). I am going to buy the service manual for the engine and go for it. <br /><br />T-I-M, I have family that live in BC, beautiful country up there. I am originally from Alberta.