Another Merc 20 Model ID question

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just came into a Mercury 20HP this afternoon and I can't determine the year ... unlike most others, there's no year on the ID plate ... just a serial 5765766.<br /><br />The engine looks as though it's barely had any use and starts on the first pull, but, so far, all I can locate is a range from 81 through 88 and, looking at the engine, I find that hard to believe.<br /><br />Any help IDing this engine will be appreciated ...

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Another Merc 20 Model ID question

According to the serial number, that is a 1980/1981 20hp motor. Mercury would refer to it as a 1980 motor, although it may have been built in 1981.

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another Merc 20 Model ID question

Thanks, AMD ... I just came back to say I had also found the info .. after 2 1/2 hours of dedicated search :( <br /><br />I do, however, appreciate your time and effort .. thanks a bunch<br /><br />The age was dificult to accept considering how good this engine looks and runs ... someone took mighty good care of it.<br /><br />During my ID search, I did, though, encounter what may turn out to be a problem in getting parts ... not many sources for this particular model.<br /><br />Again considering the condition, it apparently hasn't been used much which tells me that I should have at least a water pump impellor/kit on hand. <br /><br />Props are another scarce item .. but ... for what I paid for it, I can't complain if I have to search a bit and build up my own stock of parts.<br /><br />Thanks again ... and take care ...