Power trim out over ride

Ron173

Cadet
Hello all,<br /><br />I have a Mercury 40hp ELPTO 967cc triple 2005 model. On a 4.2 stacer hull<br /><br />This model is fitted with an extra electronic control which I'd like to be able to overide at times.<br /><br />When you are trimming out, if above 2500rpm, it will not allow you to trim up past a certain point, it has a trim limiter which comes in above 2500rpm and pulls the motor back down to a preset maximum level of trim out.<br /><br />Occasionally I'd like to go above this, and was wondering if I can bypass it, or remove a fuse or something, guess you'd need to know the engine to do this. My mate has same engine 2003 model, his trims right out.<br /><br />My other question is that I feel that despite the motor having a foil, I'd like it to come up more at the stern when planing, would moving the motor down achieve this? (on its bolt position I mean) By going down the motor will still find its level, hence lifting boat higher? or am I wrong way round there??<br /><br />Any advice from you top blokes appreciated,<br /><br />Ron

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power trim out over ride

It's not an electrical thing, it's an internal hydraulic thing. There's nothing easy you can do about it and I doubt the unit could stand the strain in you could. There are transom wedges available that allow the motor to be attached to the transom at an additional or reduced angle, depending on which way you install them. You can install them for additional trim. This will increase your trim Up but reduce your trim Down (it won't tuck in as much when trimmed down). That could negatively affect holeshot. I guess you need to balance the pros/cons. Best holeshot or higher trim angle.<br /><br />For best speed, the motor needs to be mounted high without being so high that the prop grabs air. This means less gearcase in the water and less drag. Cupped props help allow higher mounting. So do 4+ bladed props. You tend to lose the foothold, though. They'll grab air too easily sometimes and you can lose control. If you run rough water, then you need it set lower for bite.<br /><br />Try running with the hydrofoil off if the motor runs with the antiventilation at or below the surface of the water. You'll proabaly gain 2 to 4mph without it. Try Trim Tabs. That could be Huge! Besides slowing you down, hydrofoils change lift and steering characteristics every time you touch the trim button. Thus their performance can be completely unpredictable.

Ron173

Cadet

Thanks for that, I'd heard of those transom wedges, must get one, are they expensive or hard to get?<br />I will try with foil off, as it doesnt improve things any since fitting, what a waste of money! guess it will end up on ebay.<br /><br />Also when I take foil off, ther obviously will be holes there, leave them open or fit bolts in them?<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Ron

Ron173

Cadet

Willybwright,<br /><br />I found transom wedges sort of locally and not too expensive. I run a 4 blade propulse prop already, yes i want to trim out more, so I'd fit wedge with thick part to bottom?<br /><br />I dont care much bout holeshot or trimming in, I hardly ever trim in, I run in freshwater dams, trolling slow, then fast to a new spot, or pulling kids in tube, so trimming out for that extra mph is best for me by far.<br />Thought bout filling those cav plate holes once foil off? or plug with grommets?<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Ron (ps boat is Stacer 4.2 sea hawk, with lots of options, and its the big (small carbed 60hp) 40hp merc on it)

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ron... Your problem sounds similar to a problem I had a while back. My trim is much simpler and by trimming out too much I actually broke both the attachment brackets of the trim. Luckily I run a CNC workshop that does aluminium machining so I could machine 2 new brackets for myself.<br /><br />The actual problem was that my motor was too deep in the water and additionally couldn't trim in negatively. So I lifted up my whole engine by 1 inch. And I made sure that the engine could trim in all the way to the negative. Now all that is sorted. My engine now pushes my back-end out of the water when I do a hole shot and I've never needed to trim past the limit again.<br /><br />It also had those hydrofoil wing crap things on. Removed them aswell.<br /><br />I'm happy with the angle at which my boat planes now, but if you want it even flatter get yourself a set of Smart Tabs. I've heard only good things about them. nauticusinc.com