2 cycle oil leak

jcallicoatte

Recruit
I have a 2003 Mercury 40 hp ELPTO, 3 cylinder,oil injected. Recently the 2 cycle oil has been leaking out. It runs down the shaft and puddles outside of the motor on the ground. The motor was stored for the winter with a full tank of oil in the resevoir in a tilted position supported by the transom saver. No different than any other i have ever had. There are no leaks from the supply line to what i think is the pump itself. Can this be a siphoning issue? Additionally the motor will die under load past half throttle. Runs fine at idle both in neutral and gear. Feels like flooding out at full throttle. Will open up if you spray starting fluid while under way. Is this fuel pump issue altogether?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2 cycle oil leak

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Check your hood and see if the front foam inside is soaked with oil. Tank neck leaks are common, especially over several months, filled to the brim with oil. If it leaked there, there'll be oil in that foam. The running problem leads me to think more of a carb problem than a fuel pump one. Don't use starting fluid on a 2-stroke. It washes the oil off the bearings and cylinder.

jcallicoatte

Recruit

Checked foam. it is dry. additionally, all of the oil will leak out. Can it be leaking through bottom carb? That might explain your theory of carb issue. Is the carb gummed up with 2 cycle oil?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

The new ELPTO's have a manufacturing fault with the oil bottle. Get a mirror, and a torch and look under the bottle. There is a screw that is not sealed properly and the tank needs to be changed for the improved model that doesn't leak. I had my 2005 Mariner done under warranty.<br />The dealers here told me that they have changed about 5 so far in 2006. Yours should be still under warranty.<br />www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45621&f=8

jcallicoatte

Recruit

checked the oil tank, it is solid, no problems there. it looks like to me that the oil is coming through the bottom carb into the plastic air cleaner/shield and then down into the cowling. Thanks for the help