1999 200 EFI Piston disintegration!

Deertick

Recruit
Found a hole adjacent to cylinder 4 (middle port). Completed teardown this afternoon and the piston barely resembled a piston. Aparrently, the seal ring pin busted, the ring caught the exhaust port and then the fun began. Everything other than the 4th cylinder is pristine. From what I can tell, I need a piston (duh), a sleeve (slight crack - no scoring), head cover, and reed valve (lots of piston chunks wedged). Am I missing anything else? Could the exhaust be blocked at all from small chunks of the piston? Motor was running fine prior and just started running a little rough.

Boatwizard

Seaman
Re: 1999 200 EFI Piston disintegration!

Be sure to check the fuel quality, filters and injector for that cyl before you run it. You may also want to check the spark on that cyl to make sure it's not firing early. that was a very rare problem on some 96 and 97 model 200's, haven't seen it on a 99. I saw a guy pop number 4 twice in two weeks. It had a bad switch box and ran number 4 up to 35 degrees wide open. With the cowl off you could tell it had a cyl trying to detonate.

Deertick

Recruit

Thanks for the tips! Probably a good idea to replace the injector and filters since I have it apart. Any idea if the cylinder head can be re-machined? How about purchasing ONE ring. Mercury wants $288 for the head and $257 for a set of rings.

Boatwizard

Seaman

A machine shop can flycut it. Do both heads so the compression willbe the same. You may pick up 5 to 10 PSI.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

check with a few of the companies at iboats and places like outboard recycle. most the heads are less than 100 dollars and most good machine shops can smoth out the head with a burr.<br /> the injectors you can send to Flagship marine for servicing and testing.<br />plenty of aftermarket stuff availible for that motor, I do agree that merc stuff is very high.

mistylady

Seaman Apprentice

How many hours? I have a 2001200efi on the third powerhead with a total of 200hrs. The last time they said it was fuel pressure? I am fortunate that all was covered with existing and extended warranties. I am now a little gun shy.<br /><br /> Mistylady