1970 7.5HP fuel fitting

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, I just picked up a nice little 7.5HP, 1970, and the Merc fuel connectors that I have don't seem to fit this one. The fitting is recessed into a hole under the front of the cowling, in between the choke lever and the kill button, and the fuel connector from the tank is too big around to fit into the hole.<br /><br />Is there a different outer diameter fuel fitting for this motor?<br /><br />Also, my other (newer, bigger) merc's have a spring-loaded pin in the center of the fuel fitting that is missing from this one, is it supposed to be there on this one? It looks like the pin is there to seal the connector shut when it's not attached to a fuel tank.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jason

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1970 7.5HP fuel fitting

There is no shutoff in that connector shown. It is a smaller version of the larger plug. You'll only be able to get one (30635A3) thru a Merc dealer, I've never seen an aftermarket one. They're rather pricey if they're still available, $30 ballpark. Could be worse. Double hose Johnnyrude connectors are in the $50 ballpark.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Nm, WillyBRight posted much more informatively while I was typing :D .<br />Eric<br /><br />EDIT: Still gonna suggest you swap the small connector with a normal sized one off a newer merc.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I've currently ran into the same problem, with my '68 3.9hp Merc.<br /><br />The fittings are available (30635Q3), but cost a bit more than the standard fitting.<br /><br />
30635Q3.jpg
<br /><br />For Mercury / Mariner 3.9 thru 9.8 hp. Outboards (1971 and older) utilizing twist lock type connector. Quick Disconnect-Engine End<br /><br />Check out vintageoutboard.com, mercurypartsexpress.com or your local Merc dealer for the part. I don't believe iboats have it (unless you can find out the Tempo equivalent part number). Either way, it'll probably run you about 25 bucks.

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys! Great info, much appreciated!<br /><br />Eric B, I thought about that, but being recessed into it's little hole like it is I'll probably just get the original type.<br /><br />Now if I ever lose the original type one, it might be a different story...<br /><br />J