Is this normal for a water pump

snowstud98@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
I just installed my new water pump impeller It was bigger than the cup it fits into, so i had to bend the vanes to fit it in..is this normal???? And it still isn't pumping and suggestions???

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this normal for a water pump

Yes, they are a tight fit. And you do have to bend the blades a fair amount to get it into the cup. Are you sure you installed the impeller with the vanes facing the correct direction?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

There's a good video here that shows the basic procedure for installing a new impeller:<br /><br />Video Chronicle of TMD Waterpump<br /><br />Are you sure you installed the impeller drive key? Sounds like maybe you have a blockage in the water system. Try sticking a small wire up into the tell tale outlet while its running to clear any obstruction. Another idea would be to blow air into the water tube if you have the lower unit off. Good luck.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just an FYI. The eccentric (out of round, or oval) shape of the housing and compression of part of the blades is how you are able to take inlet water and compress it for the required water pressure.<br /><br />If you didn't see the video, I use real soapy water and they go in real well. If you are careful they will stay in while you reassemble.<br /><br />Also, I always insure that the blades follow the turn of the crank in the proper direction so that when you run it you know the pump will work right off. I put the lower unit in fwd and rotate the prop cw, looking from the rear [for cw (right hand) drives] as I'm tucking the blades in.<br /><br />Mark