mariner 8hp HELP ME PLEASE WATER PUMP STOPPED MID OUTING

liptrapsurf

Recruit
HELP I WAS OUT YESTERDAY IN MY LITTLE BOAT EVERYTHING WAS FINE, THE WATER PUMP WORKED GREAT THEN AS I WAS RETURNING I NOTICED A DROP IN RPM AND NO WATER WAS COMING OUT THE HOLE, I STOPPED THE MOTOR AND GOT HOME, <br />WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED AND WHAT DO I DO, I CAN FIX IT MYSELF BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE CAUSE?<br />PLEASE HELP

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mariner 8hp HELP ME PLEASE WATER PUMP STOPPED MID OUTING

1st you will do better in the merc/mariner forum. but generally i would say the impellor gave up. get an engine specific manual. you drop the lower unit and change the impellor. not familar with your particular engine, but they are all basicly the same. good luck, and welcome to iboats. a moderator will be along and move your post for you.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It could've failed due to age. Rubber gets hard, vanes break off. The manufacturer recommends annual service of the water pump. 3 years is more realistic. Beyond 5 years and you're on borrowed time. The intakes could've been blocked by weeds or a plastic bag, depriving the pump of water, burning it out. Or have you ever run the motor without water? That would burn out the pump as well. The most common causes are age and water deprivation.

liptrapsurf

Recruit

thanks guys for the info, an update to this dilemma, I put the engine in fresh water yesterday ato flush it, the pump actually pushed some water thru and then after a few minutes it stopped again, a mate says it could have some sand or somthing intermittantly blocking it, i had replaced the pump 3 years ago and this could be the logical explanation, just when i am about to sell the boat, ill pull the bottom off and inspect, are there any tell tale signs as to indicate a suspect impellor?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Change it anyway-its not hard to do and not expensive. You'll know if it's suspect when you see it, and it'll take less time to drop the lower unit and look at the impeller than to think about probable other faults.

liptrapsurf

Recruit

hi there guys, i dropped the lower unit and found to my surprise that the impellor was warn out, i.e the little lip on each blade had worn down, however the rubber was in extremely good conditionn so i reversed the impeller and made sure the blades were in the right directiom and whalla it works again like brand new. my thaughts on the matter are, well you probably shouldnt reverse the unit but there is a lip on both sides of the impellor and the other lip had not been used, its a shame to waste a perfectly good lip, this reversal workes fine now and im happy, do you have any sugestions in regards to the reversal technique?

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think you're gonna get a lotta service out of it. Impellors are high volume parts and thus very cheap. I think you'll be surprised at how cheap they are.

Brian Ahern

Recruit

No reason why that wont work but it wont last as long as the first.they are cheap anyway .i'd get a new one and keep it ready.