Turn a 9.8hp into a 15hp?

Hi guys. I own a 1999 Mercury 9.8hp long shaft engine. I was wondering if I could turn my 9.8 into a 15 hp. The engines have Identical bore & stroke, foot etc... Is it just a matter of changing the carb jets and timming the engine???<br /><br />Thanks for any help.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Turn a 9.8hp into a 15hp?

Carbs are different. Exhaust tuner is probably different. May also have a different intake manifold. Do a search, been covered a lot. Even a parts list. Cost is prohibitive for parts alone and it's not a simple job.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did the opposite, converted a 15 to a 9.9 because in Canada you don't need to register a boat less than 10hp and it is covered under the cottage insurance. You need a complete carb, exhaust cone, gasket set and cowl decals. For me it was worth it as my dealer had a bunch of 9.9 carbs from previous conversions and he let me have one cheap. I think everything was around $450 Canadian. I have only got around to changing the decals so far but plan on finishing the conversion this year. keep in touch and I could sell you all the 15 hp parts.

Nikko

Seaman

Geez! Wouldn't it have been easier to just change the decals from 15hp to 10hp and be done with it?! :) <br /><br />Nikko

wyowoodwrkr

Cadet

I agree; your conversion is done. The mattress tag police are not coming tonight.

casi77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi guys, this is my first post on this board ..I was reading through and this is the funniest I heard so far at Nikko's reply!! Its True! For a 9.9 conversion for $450 ehhh?

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

The conversion is really quite simple. First, loosen the transom clamps. Then, carefully raise the motor until it just clears the top of the transom. Once the transom clamps clear the top of the transom, you can replace the motor with the size you want...just add money.