value of a 1963 40hp elec start

ddavis90325is

Seaman
I'm looking at buying a used 14ft 1963 Mirrorcraft with a 40hp elec start Merc on the back. What is the average value of the engine of that age and power? (said to run fine and shift fine)<br /><br />
89_1.JPG
<br /><br />When i go look at the motor tomorrow, what are somethings i should look at, and beware of?<br /><br />What is the history with these motors, are they reliable? Easy to find parts for? Easy to run? <br /><br />Thanks in advance!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: value of a 1963 40hp elec start

First, that looks like in inline-4 50Hp, not a 40 twin. Better make sure the boat is rated to hold it. Second, it looks like a longshaft motor on a shortshaft boat. It could be the angle of the picture. The antiventilation plate should be about even with the bottom of the boat. If it's way lower, then you might want to raise the motor with an appropriate apparatus. Don't rely it being in good running order. Ask for a test ride. Check the gearlube and sparkplugs. A compression and spark test would be REAL good ideas. Plan on putting in a new water pump. When testing, make sure water is pumping. Check around the sparkplugs to see if any water is leaking out which would indicate a previous overheat. Value? $350 to $750.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: value of a 1963 40hp elec start

Motor looks like a '65 or '66 model year. Definitely a Merc 500EL model. Value is all about condition. Have the lower unit pressure checked, as Mercs of that era were prone to having their driveshafts and propshaft pitted, leading to water in the unit. Nothing good comes of that. The motor has a farm tractor style magneto which is fairly easy to service. Many other service parts are still available for it as well. See www.oldmercs.com for more in depth specs and such...<br /><br />- Scott