carberators

wunderman

Seaman Apprentice
Is it a big ordeal to rebuild carbs I have 3 on my 1981 merc 150, boat will not plane but otherwise runs fine.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: carberators

Buy a manual, Its not difficult if you are mechanicaly inclined and it will take you the better part of a day having not done it before. If not, leave it to the pros.

wunderman

Seaman Apprentice

I have a manual I just think it might be too much for me, Im thinking maybe I should take it in,any idea what something like this would cost. thank you steve.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Try A big dose of seafoam in the fuel It may help clean them out... Tim

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are many reasons a boat will not plane and carbs needing rebuilding may or not be one of them. Did this problem just appear? Do the simple stuff first like checking/changing plugs, making sure the engine is getting fuel, compression is OK and all cylinders are contributing to the effort. The worst thing you can do is take it to a shop, tell them to rebuild the carbs and then still have the problem. Tell them what the problem is and let them troubleshoot it. For all you know, the boat may have a bunch of trapped water in the hull that's not draining.

Boatwizard

Seaman

Check the compression, fire and fuel supply first, the carbs would be the LAST thing to look at unless it had sit with gas in it for 2 years or more.

wunderman

Seaman Apprentice

this problem started over ty he last couple of years. my compression is really good.rebuilt fuel pump. I have spark on all cylinders but Im not sure if its a strong spark. Im going to buy a spark plug tester to make sure and buy some new wires.

LubeDude

Admiral

Does your engine sound like its ventilating? Maybe you have a spun hub on your prop.

wunderman

Seaman Apprentice

when I first bought this boat when I stepped on the gas to the floor it would spit and sputter then all of a sudden the boat would take off very fast. IM kind of new to boating and this boat would go so fast it scared me a little. but now I can use this boat for fishing butit will not plane because I cant get enough speed. Thank you Steve