Merc 225 2 vs 4 Stoke

jayarmand

Recruit
I am looking for a 22’ or so runabout for use in the upper Chesapeake Bay. I have 2 young children 3 and 5 so I need a head. I was going to get a 24’ Sea Ray bow rider. Till I saw a Boston Whaler 21’ Ventura. I fell in love with the quality of build and the fishability. Have owned both Sea Ray and Whaler before, My question is outboards. I have seen an Evinrude 225 Fitch ( I have ruled that one out), the other choice is a 2003 Merc 225 Four Stroke versus a 2001-2 Opti-Max Two Stroke Merc. I have heard that the 2003 Four Stroke isn’t the best. Any information would be helpful.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Merc 225 2 vs 4 Stoke

Welcome aboard!<br />Are you looking for only used outboards, or is a new one in the question.../??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would avoid the Optimax for the same reasons as the OMC-built Ficht.<br /><br />The Bombardier-built (post 2001) Evinrude DFIs are good engines, as are the Yamaha HPDIs.<br /><br />All of the 4 strokes in that range seem to be good engines, particularly the Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda.

jayarmand

Recruit

Thanks, Looks like a great site.<br /><br />I was trying to not buy a NEW one. I basically have 3 options: a 2003 w/225 Merc 4 Stroke<br />2002 w/225 Merc Optimax or a 2001 with a 225 Merc Optimax. I have heard some not great things about the 2003 Four Stroke. I am looking for any expierierence. Also is there a printout that I can get from the engine? Can I find out what warranty if any has been done? Can I get an extended warranty on any of these?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

If the warranty hasn't expired, you can get an extension. The 4-stroke is a Yamaha with black paint and Merc decals. Otherwise it's 100% Yamaha. The Optis had a shaky start but have improved dramatically in this century. I wouldn't touch one from the last century for any pice. There were a few recalls, so you'll want to make sure they were done. One related mostly to motors used in saltwater, but all were recalled for the updated parts. Any Yamaha dealer can get warranty information off the Web, but private parties can't.