shifting

tom nelsonc

Cadet
1989 mercury 8hp long shaft serial # tag is gone. I was back trolling and the motor killed, now it will not shift out of reverse

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: shifting

tom,<br /><br />We need more info,and then maybe we can help.<br /><br />Will the motor start.<br /><br />Will the motor crank over when you pull the recoil.<br /><br />If the motor is not running have you turned the propshaft when trying to shift.<br /><br />Also how full is the gear oil,and what does the oil look like.<br /><br />Just a start,trying to help you.<br /><br />DHP

tom nelsonc

Cadet

After the motor quit I could not get it started again, It will turn over, I tried turning the prop shaft and shifting but it still would not shift, the oil was in good condition

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

Does this motor shift using tiller handle if so it could be a broken cable try shifting using linkage on side of motor

tom nelsonc

Cadet

The motor has a tiller handle,the cables seem fine, I can not see any thing that looks broken or out of place, tom

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

remove 3 screws at base of tiller handle and remove cover plate this is where cables are connected they could be broken there or just come of, caution take note where cables go as can be a bit tricky to get back together

tom nelsonc

Cadet

thanks for the help, after looking the cables over, i took the bolt out of the shift gear on the motor, it was not in the cog of the shifting gear, reinstalled the cabled gear and it shifts ok now. thanks again, tom