weight difference between a 2-stroke 15hp and a 4-stroke 15hp?

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone know the average weight difference between a 2-stroke 15hp and a 4-stroke 15hp?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: weight difference between a 2-stroke 15hp and a 4-stroke 15hp?

Depending on make it should be around 30-50lb, b.gagnon. Less than a 6gal tank of gas.<br /><br />Example: 2003 Merc 15 4S- 111lb.<br /> 2003 Merc 15 2S- 77lb<br /><br />Good luck. :)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Depending on make it should be around 30-50lb, b.gagnon. Less than a 6gal tank of gas.<br /><br />Example: 2003 Merc 15 4S- 111lb.<br /> 2003 Merc 15 2S- 77lb<br /><br />Good luck. :)
Which is a lot if you're lifting it up to the transom of a boat on a trailer or humping it from the truck to the boat. Only point being, it's probably not a significant weight on the boat, but getting it there. To me this is the only reason I go with a 2 stroke kicker. The difference between 75 and 110 pounds is huge (to me). It basically makes the difference between being able to manhandle it or not (in a manner prudent to a 50+ year old - I wouldn't have gave it a second thought 25 years ago!).<br /><br />By the way, to OP: if you have specific motors in mind, just go to the manufacturer's web site(s). They have weight specs on all their engines.

JB

b.gagnon didn't mention his reason for wanting to know, D., but you are certainly right about lifting and carrying. <br /><br />Even a 70lb engine is a real chore for some of us. :)

phatmanmike

Captain

tohatsu makes a REALLY light small motor. all of their motors in that size are really light

b.gagnon

At this point the motor does not come off the boat much. I am more concerned about adding too much weight to the boat. It is a 12' fiberglass boat that I added casting decks and seats to. I am starting to near the total weight capacity with two people and gear. The 8hp that I have now just does not cut it with two people on the boat.

JB

The obvious questions now are, "What is the boat rated for?" and "What does 'does not cut it' mean?"<br /><br />Tell us about your boat, what it is rated for and what you want it to do.<br /><br />12' is a very small boat. Many of them are rated for 10hp and aren't expected to plane.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

b.gagnon

It is a 1971 mfg car top fisherman, and is rated for a 10. It will not get on plane with all the extra weight. It will do 9-10mph (but with a huge wake). Before all the additions and a long winter of me gaining weight it would do 13-16mph, and with just me and gear 20mph(all gps). The performance of motor is great when I am alone, but lately that is not often! I have seen two of the same boats both with 15's and the owners said it seemed fine. I also rebuilt the transom and beefed it up quite a bit last season.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The difference between 9.9 and 15 is usually the ability to plane or not. The same may be said about the difference between 2- and 4-stroke 15s. The 4-stroke isn't usually as quick as the 2-. But since yours is only rated for 10, you really don't have much choice, legally or ethically. Overpowering a boat is illegal in many (if not most) states and insurance issues can leave you holding the bag if the boat is overpowered no matter who is at fault. I don't care how strong the transom is, how many of your buddies do it, or even if it's expressly illegal in your state or not. It's still wrong! Those tags aren't put there by idiots for frivolous reasons. There are good and sound reasons to heed them. Most involve saving Lives! :(