78' inline 6 carbs

Dassault

Seaman
would it be okay to leave the plastic arms connecting the butterflies on while soaking the carbs in a carb cleaner (from the early 80's). I did a test however i forgot to completly inspect the platic before i put it in so i could not come up with a conclusion. <br />Thanks,<br />Dassault

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 78' inline 6 carbs

They are pretty thin on the sides of the round hole in them. I usually remove them just to be sure. They have a tendency to become brittle with age and I wouldn't think carb cleaner would help them.

Dassault

Seaman

If i remove the arms, will i not have to realign them with a special tool? Can i just hang the carbs the cleaner with the arms sticking out? I am a little sketchy about taking them off completely, three carbs.

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Adjustment is simple just slightly loosen the screw securing them to allow free movement then lightly snap the throttle shutter shaft to make sure it closes. Do this to all three. You may have to hold light finger pressure on the shutters to hold them closed at the same time. The point being that all the shutters must open and close in unison. Once you are sure of this snug the nuts back up.