115 Merc with Autoblend

jtduson

Cadet
I own a 1989 Merc 115 inline six with autoblend.<br />From what I've read in the forum its advised to dump the autoblend and premix. I belive there is some type of shut off that will shut the motor down if the autoblend isnt working. Is there something I need to bypass or remove so my motor will run on pre mix?<br />Any help would be appreciated

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 115 Merc with Autoblend

It's a 1988 leftover, sold new in 1989. (The 32nd and last year they built that wonderfull critter.)<br /><br />Yes, you need to get rid of the auto-blend. Just run the fuel line direct from the tank to the outboard and pre-mix the gas at 50/1. All you need to do is disconnect all the wires to the autoblend unit and re-run that fuel line.<br /><br />-W

jtduson

Cadet

Thanks Clams, <br />It'll be done this weekend. I love the motor and dont wanna hurt it

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I bought one new in '89 and put it on a 17' Ranger Fisherman...laid out like a fishing boat (with side console) but had the deep V pad hull like a basser. Loved that engine. <br /><br />Sold it to my Daughter after 10+ trouble free years when I gave up fishing.......temporarily. <br /><br />I loved to hook that puppy up and trim her out till the boat speed actually started falling off and listen to her sing......and the prop whacking the water (made a humming sound)......white foam everywhere. <br /><br />Had that boat over 55 mph when I first bought it. Dealer had installed a 13( ) x 24 Merc SS prop on it. It was a cold day and just me with no tackle and all (really light load). It was obvious that it was too much prop for what I wanted so I traded it for a 19" pitch so I could water ski and all. Not as fast, but still plenty of fun. Actually, 55 was too fast for that hull as it wanted to (did) chine walk on me.<br /><br />I had an autoblend unit that mounted on the bottom of the boat near the engine. It had a loud horn that could be tested (by turning the tank upside down). On one occasion I ran it low on oil (first time this happened....and last).<br /><br />I was on the lake and heard this horrible racket. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what it was. Added oil and that was that. It did what it was supposed to do to protect the engine.<br /><br />Course with premix, there is no guessing. The oil is there and you know that the engine is going to get it.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />Mark

Clams Canino

Commander

Ya.. it's just that those auto-blends are so old now, they are failing ahead of the outboards.<br /><br />-W