Ignition problem

badbean

Cadet
I have a Mercury 20 hp Model 200 outboard. I believe the year is 1981. It is serial #5609492. I have had it for several years without any major problems and it runs usually pretty well. Today I was out on the water and when I went to restart it, it started up and I put it in reverse and stalled it. I could not get it to restarted. I got it home and there seems to be no spark from either plug. Any ideas what the problem is? Could it be the switch box? How can I test these components to determine the problem? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ignition problem

With a sudden loss of spark I would disconnect the kill switch to see if this is your problem.

Laddies

Banned

If you need to test the ign. we will need the serial no. or to know if it's the old style or new 20 HP

badbean

Cadet

I pulled off the switchbox and the cream colored wire (according to my wiring diagram this goes to the trigger)is totally rotted. The insulation is just falling off the wire and crumbling and the copper wire itself is green and basically rotted out. I think this is my problem :( . Damn these things are expensive too...$200.

Laddies

Banned

If you get a disconnect at NAPA you might try there

badbean

Cadet

Laddies what do you mean a disconnect at Nappa? I am going to try and replace the wire by sodering a new one in its place and sealing it up real well. I hope this fixes it, if not I am going to have to buy a new switch box. The guy at the outboard repair place near me said he will sell me a used one for $100. At that price I might as well get a brand new one.

badbean

Cadet

Well I took a jeweler's screw and screwed it into what was left of the wire sticking out of the Switch Box. Then I got some fresh wire and wrapped and sodered it to the screw. I then took some sealer and sealed all around that connection. I hooked all the wires back up from the Switch box to the motor components and shrink tube shielded the wire connections. She started up on the 2nd pull and seems to run fine again. I'll take her out on the water tomorrow and give her a test run. Thanks for the response and help guys, I appreciate it.

badbean

Cadet

Well I took her out today. She is starting easier and running much better then she has before this repair. She is smoother accelerating and running and quieter running too. Idles smoother also. Motor is running way better now. It must have been getting a really weak spark for a while now. Amazing difference.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Great, Seems to be a well done job badbean!