change from distributer to ecu if possible

ril0

Seaman
Hi have just blown piston in my merc 115hp straight six merc(non distributor).Have aquired a 140hp ? straight six merc (serial no4868171 distributor model)with broken con rod.Can I use power head from 140hp on the 115hp .also are conrods or pistons interchangeable.Am not keen on having distributor as have heard they are troublesome

orca

Chief Petty Officer
Re: change from distributer to ecu if possible

The powerhead can fit straight on, I have done a similar installation on several occasions. There are some issues wih wiring, but the thesecan be overcome, however you will need to use the distributor and the old style swithbox.<br />Conrods are interchangable,however look very close at the pistons, some pistons have a differant height deflector on the top.

ril0

Seaman

thanks whaley is there any possibility of using just the block from 140hp and electrics flywheel etc from 115 hp eg change it to ecu and not dist

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry ril0, cant be done, the mount for the advance linkages on the newer motor is where the distributor was mounted.<br />There are numerous other differances too