Need new wire harness info

nate_evans79

Seaman Apprentice
I discovered the other day that my project boat, just became a little bit bigger of a project.<br /><br />All the wiring had been burnt up before I got the boat, and what wasn't burnt, was really old, and the insulation was crumbling off.<br /><br />Any way, I am looking for a place to get a new wire harness for my 78 mercury 900. I have done a search online, but have not come up with very much. any help would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Nate.

nate_evans79

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need new wire harness info

Thanks, <br />My next question is; how do I figure out the oem part number? so I can search on the rapair.com site?<br /><br />I have already replaced the harness that is inside the engine cowling.(cdi p/n: 414-2770)<br /><br /> I am looking for the part from that plug, back to the controls, and the instruments. <br /> I have the "Commander" side mount control A-76334A<br /><br /><br />Thanks.<br />Nate.

Clams Canino

Commander

Nate there is only one generic external harness available for that motor. It's about 22 feet long and made by CDI (rapair). If you're the guy that e-mailed me (via Ebay) the other day with the exact same issue... the price I quoted you was below list.<br /><br />-W

nate_evans79

Seaman Apprentice

do you have the part number on that, or a ebay item number. I don't think that I emailed anyone, but if it was late, I might not have remembered.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Nate.

phatmanmike

Captain

clams, that was me, i emailed you. yes, your price is quite a good one for a new one.<br /><br />i ended up getting a complete 1973 merc 850 for 400, and it came with a free wire harness. woo hoo.<br /><br />you can usually get one on ebay for cheap if you look good enough. i usually see them for sale with the entire control box and cables for under a hundred bucks.<br /><br />if you have the cammander style control box, thats the newer, 80'2 style of control box, and they have a different style plug. <br /><br />rapair makes a converter so you can use the new style harness with teh old style engine, available at any mercury dealer for around 250. ive checked myself for one. thats how i know :) <br /><br />the older merc motors, back in the day, were famous for needing new wires and wire harness's. i have 4 mercs from the 70's, and all 4 of them, i have had to replace the harness on all of them.<br />i have a 1976 1150, a 1973 850, a 1973 500, and a 1979 402, which ironically, uses the newer style commander plug. all the others use the " mercontrol" style plug.<br /><br />if you search ebay, search the ebay motrs for the keyword" mercontrol"<br /><br />have fun, its a journey to say the least

nate_evans79

Seaman Apprentice

I have the internal engine harness, (cdi pn:414-2770) right now, and it is connected to the commander style controller. There is no adapter or anything either. Can't I just use the universal boat harness for it? <br /><br />***edit*** I found the harness (p/n 474-9550) on boatfix.com for $159.05. Thats about the best deal I can find. unless anyone can point me to a better place. <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Nate.

Clams Canino

Commander

Yes.... you can use the universal (Mercury type) boat harness.<br /><br />-W