'03 2stroke Merc 25EL Remote Controls

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all: My son and I's project boat, we are converting a tiller set up to a center console. The center console will only be 16x16x24 so room is a premium. The controls that came with the Merc are really large. We would like to find an aftermarket control that has a lot smaller footprint. The questions I have on after market controls are:<br />The electrical cable I assume handles the choke (push the key in) as well as other functions (kill, tach?, etc.) The tech information I read so far on aftermarket controls seem to indicate that I will need a seperate key. How do you handle the neutral throttle and the choke? How do you handle the electrical cable to the engine?<br /><br />Are there small controls? The ones that I have looked are (console mounts) are rather large. I would again like the smallest unit I can find. Any suggestions?<br /><br />My current control has a plug that I guess is for the tach (four prongs). I guess I will lose that functionability as well. <br /><br />Any guidance or help will be greatly appreciated. Mike

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: '03 2stroke Merc 25EL Remote Controls

I'm afraid that if you go aftermarket, all you're going to get is the levers. Electricals aren't included. You'd have to utilize the wiring and electrical components you have and mount the key and choke to the dash. You'll also want to make sure the control comes with a Neutral safety switch. You may have to get that separately. Unless you have one on the motor itself.